10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Ellen Pompeo of Grey’s Anatomy
Unlike a lot of big-name stars, Ellen Pompeo (Meredith Grey) is pretty good at flying under the radar. We know her character Meredith intimately after seven seasons of Grey's Anatomy, but how much do we really know about the actress behind the scrubs? Here are 10 facts you may not have known about Ellen:
10. Besides “pencil,” one of Ellen Pompeo's nicknames growing up was “Stracciatella.”
9. A native of Massachusetts, Ellen is of Irish and Italian descent. Ellen’s grandfather was born in Gesualdo, Italy, and Ellen was honored for her achievement in entertainment by the National Italian American Foundation in 1997. (Fair enough: her first word as a baby was “pepperoni.”)
8. Ellen’s mom died of a painkiller overdose when she was just four years old, greatly affecting Ellen and her five siblings (who are all at least eight years older). "I think having my mother die at such a very young age – when she was 33 – I appreciate life so much."
7. She portrayed Jim Carrey’s ex, Naomi, in the movie Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but all her scenes were cut from the film. Most of her scenes were also cut from Daredevil, in which she played Ben Affleck’s secretary.
6. Ellen was discovered in 1996 while bartending at SoHo Bar & Grill in New York; a casting director asked her to appear in commercials and she landed a L’Oreal gig soon after.
5. New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg was the legal witness to her marriage ceremony with Chris Ivery at Manhattan’s City Hall. Ellen was introduced to her husband at a Whole Foods Market store in Los Angeles.
4. In 2005, Ellen was Punk’d by Ashton Kutcher while dining with her then-boyfriend Chris Ivery (who was in on the prank). A waitress hits on Chris; Chris tips the waitress generously; Ellen’s head explodes.
3. Shortly before she was cast in the role of Jake Gyllenhaal’s love interest in Moonlight Mile, Jake hit on her, and she was surprised because he looked so young. Between Taylor Swift, Reese Witherspoon, and Ellen, age is clearly nothing but a number to Jake.
2. Despite a runaway internet rumor, Ellen does not (we repeat: does not) have six toes on each foot.
1. She's not as wild as some of Hollywood's other big name stars. In 2008, she told Allure of motherhood: "[Chris and I] enjoy our life so much. We go to Europe and sleep in. So when I have the baby, I won't feel like we've missed any fun, reckless times together, like staying up all night drinking champagne and having sex until five in the morning and not having to get up until two in the afternoon."
Sources: Just Jared, TMZ, UsMagazine.com, TV.com