Charley Gallay/Getty Images Entertainment
10 Things You Didn’t Know about SYTYCD’s Mary Murphy
From champion ballroom dancer to TV personality, find out more facts about Mary Murphy below!
10. Mary was the only daughter in a family of four children, and spent much of her early years playing sports like track and field, basketball, volleyball and football.
9. Her father was an elementary school teacher and her mother was a homemaker.
8. Mary Murphy’s first professional ballroom dance partner was Manfred Sigletz. The two earned the title of Austrian National Champions in both 1990 and 1991.
7. Mary retired from ballroom dance competition in the late 1990’s, after winning the U.S. Open American Nine Dance with partner Jim Desmond.
6. Mary appeared as a dance double for Julia Roberts in the movie Something to Talk About.
5. She also danced in place of Vanessa Williams in the movie Dance With Me.
4. She is the organizer of the Las Vegas dance competition, the Holiday Dance Classic.
3. Mary was part of the original guest judge and choreographer pool when So You Think You Can Dance premiered in 2005.
2. From December 22, 2009 to January 10, 2010, Murphy headlined the Broadway ballroom dance show Burn the Floor.
1. Mary continues to share her love of dance. She has coached a number of U.S. Amateur and Junior Champions over the years and continues to remain involved.