10 Things You Didn’t Know About SYTYCD’s Adam Shankman
Adam Shankman had a hand in comedy, dance, and directing long before he became judge on So You Think You Can Dance. Read more about SYTYCD’s fabulous judge, Adam Shankman below!
10. Adam was born in Los Angeles, but after high school he relocated to New York to attend Julliard. He dropped out of the prestigious school, however to dance in musical theater.
9. Adam was a dancer in Janet Jackson’s "Escapade" music video.
8. He was also in an MC Skat Kat video with former American Idol judge, Paula Abdul.
7. Adam got his first big break in choreography because of a little white lie. When a hired choreographer for a MC Shan video fell through, Adam fibbed that he had choreographed for Janet Jackson and Paula Abdul -- he was hired on the spot!
6. Comedic actor Brendan Fraser relies upon Adam as his exclusive choreographer.
5. Though Adam worked with Jennifer Lopez on the movie The Wedding Planner, he later ended up filing a $5 million lawsuit against the actress, claiming that he came up with the idea for her adaptation of the opera Carmen.
4. Adam is credited with coining the term “lyrical hip hop.” He used this phrase to describe the dance style of Tabitha and Napoleon D’umo.
3. He choreographed a tour for the Spice Girls.
2. A man of many endeavors, Adam officiated the wedding of friend Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze, Jr.
1. A late bloomer in the dance world, Adam did not start dancing until age 18.