5. Toby popping up in Emily’s car Toby is one of the sweetest guys on Pretty Little Liars, but at the beginning of Season 1, we were petrified of him. He seemed creepy and dangerous, especially when he was hiding in Emily's (Shay Mitchell) car and suddenly popped up in the mid-season finale, Season 1, Episode 10, “Keep Your Friends Close.” He was only trying to talk to her, but it seemed like he was going to kill her!
4. The snuff video of Alison Anything involving Ian is scary, but one of the darkest moments to date was seeing Alison's death and Ian at the scene of the crime. In the season finale, Season 1, Episode 22, “For Whom the Bell Tolls,” the little liars gasped as they saw their BFF being killed by what appeared to be Spencer’s brother-in-law!
3. Emily in the science lab with Toby Toby had a dark side for a while and it seemed like he could snap at any moment. We were afraid for Emily when she was stuck in a classroom with him in Season 1, Episode 6, “There’s No Place Like Homecoming,” and he tried to force her to listen to his side of the story. Good thing Emily is strong — we were convinced that Toby was trying to attack her.
1. Spencer being chased in the church Ian was menacing and aggressive in the final episode of the season, Season 1, Episode 22, “For Whom the Bell Tolls,” as he attacked Spencer in the church and tried to push her from the bell tower. It was one of the most intense moments on PLL — we thought Spencer was going to die!
Were you scared while watching these scenes? Yeah, us too! Don't forget about the creepy “A” scenes, which always leave us unsettled — and breathlessly awaiting the coming week’s episode.
Don't be fooled by Rosewood. It’s a seemingly perfect town with seemingly perfect people — but the place is filled with dark secrets and scandals, which makes Pretty Little Liars such a thrilling and scary show. We love the mysteries and suspense, even if sometimes it's so frightening that we scream (although admittedly, so do the little liars). In order to prepare ourselves for an even scarierSeason 2, we're looking back at the darkest moments of Season 1. Make sure to keep a nightlight on...
8. Spencer being stuck in the funhouse Funhousesare usually frightening , but being locked in one would be a nightmare — which is exactly what happened to Spencer in Season 1, Episode 21, “Monsters In the End.” Poor Spencer couldn’t find Toby (Keegan Allen) and ended up stuck in a locked room in the basement of the funhouse. Luckily, her family found her right away.
6. “A” left a message on the mirror A’s stalking is bad enough, but breaking into the Hastings’ house was one of the most terrifying moments yet in Season 1, Episode 4, “Can You Hear Me Now?”. The girls discovered that “A” had been hiding in Spencer’s closet and scrawled a message on her mirror in lipstick without them any of the girls realizing.