Read on for 10 oddball things you probably didn’t know about New Girl star Zooey Deschanel (Jess).
1. She got her name from a book. Zooey’s parents named her after the male character in J.D. Salinger’s Franny and Zooey.
2. She has a website. Zooey is the co-creator of and a contributor to the artsy site HelloGiggles.com.
3. Her entire family is in show biz. Zooey’s mother, Mary Jo, is an actress; her sister, Emily Deschanel, stars on a little procedural called Bones; and her father, Caleb, is an Academy Award-nominated cinematographer.
4. She’s a musician... Zooey writes and records music as one-half of the indie duo She & Him. (M. Ward is the “Him.”) They have two albums, aptly titled Volume One and Volume Two. (Betcha can’t guess which one came first... ) She also plays piano, baritone ukulele, and banjo, and she once performed in the jazz cabaret act If All the Stars Were Pretty Babies.
5. … and she’s married to a musician. Zooey tied the knot with Death Cab for Cutie singer Ben Gibbard on September 19, 2009.
6. Her favorite food is popcorn. She recently tweeted, “If eating popcorn with a spoon in bed is wrong, then I don't know what right is.”