Grey’s Anatomy’s 6 Worst Medical Mistakes of All-Time
Jackson's (Jesse Williams) fumble with the spinal screw (which nearly caused a woman's heart to tear itself apart in Season 8, Episode 9: “Dark Was the Night”) is just another in a long, shameful line of surgical boo-boos the Grey's Anatomy doctors have made over the years. Yes, most of them are brilliant surgeons, but even the best scalpel-slingers make mistakes. Here are some of the most memorable mess-ups:
6. Tampering with a clinical trial We know now what Meredith's (Ellen Pompeo) problem is: she just cares too much! Seems like a pretty harmless flaw to us, but her compassion got her fired when she made sure Richard's (James Pickens Jr.) wife Adele received Derek's (Patrick Dempsey) Alzheimer's drug instead of the placebo in a supposedly "blind" clinical trial. We're gonna give her a pass for this one, because Richard and Adele are adorable.
5. Lacerating a bowel Even the best surgeons have to know when to put down the scalpel and scrub out. Case in point: Dr. Margaret Campbell. Seattle Grace's first female surgeon, realized she had overstayed her welcome when she lacerated a patient's bowel while performing a routine surgery. Luckily, Owen (Kevin McKidd) was there to convince her to exit with (some) dignity.
4. Practicing operations on one another Though no one could replace Cristina (Sandra Oh) in the BFF department, we were all prepared to give Meredith's college friend Sadie a chance when she came to Seattle Grace. But then Sadie and the other boneheaded surgical interns started practicing procedures on themselves. First of all, ouch; and second, stupid! Team M.A.G.I.C. was never that dumb.
3. Operating with a faulty hand When you're the one of the best cardiothoracic surgeons in the country, you're gonna be bummed when a stray bullet incapacitates your hand. But Burke, you should have stayed out of the OR until you had full function back. You're lucky you had Cristina to watch out for you, because you could've killed someone... or worse, ended your career!
2. Sending the wrong patient to surgery A wise man once said, "With great power comes great responsibility." (And by "wise man", we mean one of those Spider-Man movies.) So, April Kepner (Sarah Drew), being promoted to Chief Resident is your great power. Not sending hapless patients to the wrong surgeries is your great responsibility. At least you realized your blooper in time and sprinted to the OR, but still...
1. Cutting the LVAD wire This is why love and medicine shouldn't mix. Oh sure, we were swooning over Denny's charm, his considerable scruff, and his witty Dirty Scrabble skills, too. But to cut the man's LVAD wire to put him first in line on the heart transplant list? Tsk tsk, Izzie (Katherine Hiegl). But we can't chide her too much, because it was all for naught and because our hearts broke when Denny done died.
Speaking of blunders, did we fail to include a grievous gaffe you've seen on Grey's? Shame on us! Set us straight and refresh our memory on our Facebook page.