Apparently, it’s hard to create a phenomenon without stepping on a few toes. Frankly, we find it hard to believe that something we love so much can cause so much ire in others. Case in point: Some very (and some not-so-very) famous naysayers have made their problems with Glee quite public.
That said, here are the top 5 biggest Glee feuds to date. Can’t we all just get along?
5. DAVE GROHL Don’t expect to hear Finn (Cory Monteith) crooning “Everlong” to Rachel (Lea Michele) anytime soon. Grohl, the Foo Fighters frontman (and former Nirvana drummer), recently joined the growing list of rockers who are fueling the anti-Glee backlash. However, Grohl’s beef appeared to be aimed more at Ryan Murphy’s attitude toward Kings of Leon (we’lll get to them later) than with the show itself. Looks like grunge rockers never stop battling The Man.
4. SLASH Sure, not everyone is going to love the same things. But when you say that Glee makes Grease seem like a “brilliant work of art” — as guitarist Slash stated — you’re clearly just being catty. No wonder his bands, Guns N’ Roses and Velvet Revolver, became infamous for their epic feuding. How about we stick with making music, guys?
3. VICTORIA JACKSON Following Kurt and Blaine’s amazing kiss in Season 2, Episode 16, “Original Song,” SNL alum Victoria Jackson (we know what you’re thinking: “Victoria who?”) bashed the scene as “sickening” and complained that the show is too “secular.” A note to Ms. Jackson: When the news of your homophobic ranting against a hit show is the only press you’ve gotten since 1993, it should be a clue that no one cares what you think.
2. THE LOHANS Some people might say that any publicity is good publicity. But not Lindsay and her mom Dina — especially when a show like Glee takes potshots at their expense. Between Holly Holliday’s comments in Season 2's “The Substitute,” and Katie Couric calling Dina (and her fictional dog “Sparky”) losers in “The Sue Sylvester Bowl Shuffle,” we can’t say we blame them for having a hissy fit. Then again, if Lindsay plans to complain every time someone mocks her, she’ll never make it to her court appearances. (Ba-doom!)
1. KINGS OF LEON Here it is — the biggest Glee beef yet! This conflict reached epic proportions when the band declined to lend their hit “Use Somebody” to the show, leading to a deluge of expletives from Ryan Murphy and then a rather homophobic retort from band member Nathan Followill. Supposedly, Gwyneth Paltrow helped broker a truce between the two parties, which would make her an even more skilled peacemaker than Jimmy Carter. Or Mr. Schue.