Will Chuck Bass Really Die on Gossip Girl Season 5? We Examine the Options!
Things did not look good for Chuck Bass (Ed Westwick) at the end of this week’s Gossip Girl. Has poor Chuck really worn his last ascot? Or is Gossip Girl just playing cruel, cruel games with our Chuck-loving hearts?
We’ve tried to work through our feelings by brainstorming a list of ways all this might play out.
1. He’s really dead. Nooo! And also, probably not. We doubt the show’s going to kill off one of the most popular characters. But then again, it would be a genuinely unexpected, big move, so we would give them props if they did. Grudging, grudging props.
Jose Perez/Splash News
2. He is dead, but gets to come back as a ghost. Hey, at least we’d still get to see Chuck on the show every week! He’d just never get to talk with anyone. Or be able to stop Blair’s (Leighton Meester) wedding. Or be with her ever again. (Never mind. This theory sounds totally depressing.)
3. He fakes his death. Remember Henry Prince, the humble Parisian bar back who cared for nothing but his peasant/whore girlfriend, his small apartment, and his vest? Chuck’s gone to ground before, so we know he’s capable of full scale self-reinvention. Maybe his supposed flatlining is just a way to get the paparazzi off his back, so he and Blair can start a new life in peace.
Perhaps they will open a pie shop/S&M emporium. Pretty sure that would be their version of living as little people.
4. It’s a dream sequence. We know we’re going to see Blair’s wedding day with Louis (Hugo Becker) — but will she really go through with it? Or is it part of some nightmare sequence of a Chuck-less world? Blair’s extensions look kind of ratty in those wedding photos, which makes us lean toward nightmare.
5. He gets amnesia. “Who am I? Where am I? Why do I crave devious brunettes and burlesque?”
Even if Chuck does survive, it’s possible that he could have no memory of recent months. The new Good Chuck we’ve all grown so fond of? Gone forever.
6. It is Blair who is dead. Dun dun DUN. Remember, there are two major Gossip Girl players who got smushed in that car crash. Lily said Blair was doing well, but these things can take a turn suddenly — what if all those EMTs were actually rushing to save her?
Maybe those Chuckless scenes we’ve been teased with are actually Blair’s vision leading her to the afterlife. Although Blair’s version of heaven would probably have a lot more Louboutins. So who knows.