Happy Birthday Anna Trebunskaya! Here Are 10 Reasons We Love the DWTS Pro
Anna Trebunskaya, our favorite ginger-tressed Russian Barbie on Dancing With the Stars, was born on December 28, 1980, making her 31 years gorgeous today. In honor of Anna’s birthday, here are 10 reasons we love her and hope we all survive to the end of 2012 so we can celebrate her 32nd birthday as well.
1. Her hair. Anna’s bright red hair stands out every season on DWTS. Up, down, straight, curly — it always looks perfect.
2. Her style. She really is a little Russian Barbie doll. Her petite dancer figure manages to make the often wild DWTS costumes look fun and sophisticated. She and Carson Kressley had a ball on Season 13, combining their passions for fashion and shoes. Go shoe shopping with Anna here.
3. Her love story. We’ve always loved DWTS pro Jonathan Roberts. He and Anna are the perfect opposites-attract love story. As Anna explained toDance Spirit of their disastrous first meeting as new dance partners, “We were coming from different approaches. I was born in Russia and he was born in California. He thought I was a cold-hearted Russian and I thought he was a stuck-up American!” They eventually gave each other a try and started having dinner together after practices. On Valentine's Day in 2002, Jonathan took Anna to lunch and brought her to a park bench. He got down on one knee to propose and she said yes immediately. They were married the same year in Jonathan's hometown in northern California in a ceremony officiated by his father.
Watch this video to see Anna talk about her life and love story. It's so sweet when she says she thinks she got lucky by marrying Jonathan.
4. Her American success story. Anna was born in the industrial city Chelyabinsk, Russia. As her mom, Irina, explained in the DWTS video about Anna’s life, Anna was born with asthma conditions and the air in their city was bad for her. That was one of the main reasons they moved to the USA when Anna was 17.. Now Anna, Jonathan and Anna’s mother own their own dance studio in Hermosa Beach, CA, and the married pros are always traveling across the country to dance together at events.
5. Her sense of humor. Anna has a dry wit that comes out in little pieces each week. When she has a fun-loving partner like Jerry Rice or Carson Kressley, she balances their energy perfectly and they bring out the best in each other. She’s also one of the only pros brave enough to talk back to the judges — she doesn’t pick fights with them or anything, she just stands up for herself and her partner in a feisty, no-nonsense way.
6. Her emotional side. Anna usually comes off as a tough little drill instructor, but occasionally her softer side emerges. She broke down during Freestyle rehearsals with Evan Lysacek when she felt pressured to give him the perfect routine. She cried in the confessionals with Carson after the judges were particularly harsh with their Pirates of the Caribbean dance, admitting she looks tough but she’s really a soft wench on the inside.
7. Her dancing. Duh! She's an awesome dancer. We thought 2011 would be Anna's year to take home the trophy — we predicted she'd make it to the end with Carson, but alas that was not meant to be. Whatever. We know she'll get it some day. She choreographs fantastic, creative routines and rarely gets the credit of some other pros. Remember her wild futuristic Cha-Cha-Cha with Evan?
8. Her dancing specifically with Jonathan. It's always special when Anna and Jonathan dance together on DWTS. Watch this montage of Anna and Jonathan dancing. Swoon City!
9. Her psychic powers.Anna told Philly.com she knows pretty much after the first show who will win DWTS. She also knows how well her own celebs are going to do by the second day of rehearsals. Wonder how her Season 14 partner will fare...
10. Her sense of adventure. Anna and Jonathan recently danced together in Philadelphia and they will greet the new year on the sands of Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, for the second annual “Barefoot Formal” — alongside fellow DWTS pros Louis van Amstel, Dmitry Chaplin and Chelsie Hightower, among others. Dancing by the sea with your sweetie? Sounds like the perfect way to start another great year. Here’s to 31 more, Anna!