Why Jason DiLaurentis May Be ”A” on Pretty Little Liars
Ever since Jason DiLaurentis (Drew Van Acker) returned to Rosewood on Season 1 ofPretty Little Liars , we’ve been more than a little suspicious of the guy. Frankly, we have plenty of questions we’d want to ask this mysterious loner — the first of which would be, “What conditioner do you use, and where can we get some?” But until that happens, we still have our suspicions, so here are the five reasons why Jason could turn out to be “A.”
1. There was no love lost between Jason and Ali. It’s likely that “A” is someone who hated Alison DiLaurentis (Sasha Pieterse) the way most people hate lima beans, and Jason often fits that description. The siblings were constantly bickering and were even at odds about who would receive their grandmother’s inheritance, with Jason getting cut out of the will just a week before Ali disappeared (until Mr. Hastings rectified that). This makes us suspicious of whether Jason is trying to retaliate. And in related news, all we ever get from our grandma is socks.
2. Let’s just say we don’t expect Jason’s movie to get into Sundance. The N.A.T. Club remains a mystery, but one thing’s certain: Its three members — Ian Thomas (Ryan Merriman), Garrett, and Jason — aren’t exactly three people we’d hang out with in our spare time. The girls suspect that the guys (who can “see all”) were spying on them while Ali was alive, and then we get another hint when Jason mentions in Season 2, Episode 13: “The First Secret” that they’re shooting a secretive movie. Either Jason was up to know good, or he’s giving preparing to give Spielberg a run for his money.
3. Jason was rummaging through old things (and not to go on Antiques Roadshow). Jason’s been a bit sketchy since buying the old Dilaurentis house at the start of Season 2. He built a fence, threw away a lot of the family’s belongings, temporarily covered Ali’s windows with newspapers, and still has some kind of secret that he’s sharing with Mr. Hastings. Long story short, Jason is big on privacy, just like “A” is. On the bright side, at least Jason — by taping up those newspapers to the windows — is helping to keep the publishing industry in business.
4. Neither Jason nor “A” are on Team Ezria. “A” loves threatening to expose Aria (Lucy Hale) and Ezra Fitz (Ian Harding), which puts their relationship in a constant state of turmoil. And considering that Jason lost out to Ezra in the Aria sweepstakes earlier this season — despite that kiss and Aria’s steamy dream involving Jason! — we figure Jason wouldn’t mind if Aria and Ezra just so happened to be forced apart. Until then, we’re thinking Jason wishes he could sneak his way into that dream of Aria’s, a la the movie Inception.
5. We usually say, “Don’t kill the messenger,” but in this case, we’re not so sure. In “The First Secret,” we learn that “A” had been a presence at Rosewood even while Ali was still alive. And the fact Jason was the person who handed that package to Ali (and later Aria) — containing a voodoo doll and the note about torturing her — makes us wonder if maybe the package was from him and not something he found at the doorstep, as he claimed. And here we thought receiving a present was supposed to be a good thing.
Do you think Jason is "A"? Vote in our poll below. And if you think someone else in Rosewood could be "A," stay tuned as we dissect why other characters could be our mysterious troublemaker (including our previous analysis of Paige).