Why Mona Vanderwall Might Be ”A” on Pretty Little Liars
There’s no question that Pretty Little Liars’ Mona Vanderwall (Janel Parrish) is not the nicest person in Rosewood (as Lucas would definitely concur), but could she actually be “A”? And more importantly: Would Mona really be able to constantly outrun the girls — as “A” always does — considering the fab shoes she wears? Consider us skeptical. That said, here are the five reasons why Mona could turn out to be “A,” shoes and all.
1. Mona was so not an Alison fan. It’s the understatement of the century to say that Mona is a tad bitter about having previously been neglected and ridiculed by Alison DiLaurentis (Sasha Pieterse). We also got an ominous hint during Season 2, Episode 13:”The First Secret,” when Mona — dressed as Catwoman — informs Ali that Ali might not know her now but she soon will. Could this be foreshadowing, or perhaps just a red herring? Either way, we think Mona can sometimes be scarier than even most Batman villains.
2. She seems to know about Ezria. There have been hints throughout the series that Mona is aware of Aria (Lucy Hale) and Ezra Fitz’s (Ian Harding) relationship, like when Mona overhears Aria call him “Ezra” instead of “Mr. Fitz” (whoops!) while rehearsing the school play in Season 1, Episode 18: “The Badass Seed.” And sure, there are some people who would be really happy about your relationship, even if it’s a controversial one, but Mona is not one of those people.
3. Mona had no problem sending Caleb packing. “A” interferes with these girls’ lives like nobody’s business, and we now know that Mona has no problem doing the same thing. Case in point: At the end of Season 1, Mona promises to deliver Caleb Rivers’ (Tyler Blackburn) letter to Hanna (Ashley Benson), but then promptly tosses it in the trash. If you ask us, this is “A”-like behavior if we’ve ever seen it. (And couldn’t Mona have at least dropped the letter in the recycling bin? Time to go green, Mona!)
4. Is she closer to Jenna than we realized? People say you’re only as good as the company you keep, which doesn’t bode super well for Mona. Not only is she currently swapping spit with the creep-tastic Noel Kahn (Brant Daugherty) — who himself tried to exploit his knowledge of Ezria for personal gain — but we surprisingly saw Mona befriend a pre-sunglasses Jenna Marshall (Tammin Sursok) in the Halloween episode (“The First Secret”), meaning that those two might also be working together. (Translation: Be very afraid.)
5. Mona threw Hanna under the bus (or should we say “under the horse”). We became especially aware of Mona’s manipulative side during Season 2, Episode 10: “Touched By an ‘A’-ngel,” when she lies to Hanna’s evil stepsis Kate about being good with horses. And we can’t help but think that Mona’s responsible for intentionally turning on the PA system with her helmet, just as Hanna was referring to Kate and her friends as “bitches” who “can go to hell.” (No offense, but we’re sometimes be tempted to say the same about Mona!)
Do you think Mona is "A"? Vote in our poll below. And if you think someone else in Rosewood could be "A," be sure to check out our reasons why “A” might also be Maya, Noel, Paige, or Jason.
Pretty Little Liars" googleanalytics ="UA-10597003-4" postauthor="kayti-burt" posttag="Pretty Little Liars" tagstring="Pretty Little Liars,Features" data-url="http://www.wetpaint.com/2015-07-27-pretty-little-liars-a-reveals-that-would-be-the-most-shocking/" onClick="AjaxContentCall(1428874,1);">