5. Toby refuses to take a seat. There were a few lurkers this week — notably Garrett, who watched the girls’ community service from his car, and then was later at the swim meet (and if we had been at the meet, we’d have started chanting, “Let Emily Swim!”). But the most adorable “lurker” of them all was chair-designing Toby Cavanaugh (Keegan Allen)y, who refuses to let Spencer (Troian Bellisario) go without a fight. Could a Spoby reunion be on the horizon? (If not, we may need to borrow that rocking chair as we sit and weep!)
4. What was the deal with Lucas’ “online sportsbook”? Plenty of folks in Hanna’s (Ashley Benson) life are headed back to Rosewood — we can’t wait to see Hanna and her new stepsis Kate driving to school together (a.k.a. the Carpool From Hell) — but the homecoming we were most excited for was Caleb Rivers’ (Tyler Blackburn) return from Cali. You know who wasn’t as excited about it? Lucas Gottesman (Brendan Robinson), who seems to get exponentially creepier by the second. (And you’d think Lucas would know to clear his browser history before showing Hanna his laptop, right?)
3. “A” gets duped. (And so were we — but don’t tell anyone!) We feel a bit disloyal for being so convinced that the liars were indeed enemies at the start of the show. Could these girls possibly be enemies, after all they’ve been through? We think not! Luckily, “A” was just as gullible as we were, agreeing to find out what was in Jason DiLaurentis’ (Drew Van Acker) supposed Box of Mystery. Turns out, the number of things in the box was the same as the amount of respect we have for “A” on a scale from 1 to 10: A big ol’ zero.
2. Ezra rolls with the punches. Byron Montgomery (Chad Lowe) and Ella Montgomery (Holly Marie Combs) both seemed about ready to turn into the Hulk when Ezra Fitz (Ian Harding) and Aria (Lucy Hale) dropped their relationship bombshell, so it was a shocker that it was lil’ brother Mike Montgomery (Cody Christian), of all people, who struck the first blow. Luckily, Mike redeems himself at the end, providing Aria with that “Get Out of Jail Free” card in the form of his stealthy window route. And are we about to see an angrier side to Professor Smoldering Mr. Fitz? (Translation: Slow down with the booze, buddy!)
1. Finders, keepers! How could “A” screw up this badly? Typically, the omnipresent stalker is ridiculously careful about everything, so the fact that the girls found A’s phone is kinda shocking. Then again, the phone didn’t seem to be in great shape, so we’ll have to see how much info they can actually get off of it. (Perhaps next week’s episode will just show the girls waiting in line for an hour to talk to a phone specialist at the Genius Bar.)
Catch the next episode of Pretty Little Liars on Monday, January 9 at 8 pm ET/PT on ABC Family.