As moving as this scene was, it was equally heartbreaking, as we took in just how difficult the aftermath of this confession will be for Ezria. In an effort to fight alongside the star-crossed pair, we’ve come up with 5 reasons why Byron and Ella should accept Ezra as their daughter’s suitor.
1. Byron and Ella Already Adored Him. Byron has been a huge fan of Ezra since they first met. They immediately bonded over literature and academics, and Byron and Ella thought to invite Ezra of all people to their dinner party in Season 2, Episode 7: “Surface Tension” (along with Jason [Drew Van Acker]). Even Ella developed a quasi-schoolgirl crush on Mr. Fitz after they bonded over books they both loved. Byron, hilariously, considering how things have changed, was jealous of Ezra’s relationship with Ella. The point is: They like him for who he is, and that shouldn’t change. He’s still the same person.
2. Ezria Met Before They Knew About Their Age Difference. One of the most memorable scenes in PLL history was Aria and Ezra’s first meeting at that local Rosewood bar/cafe. Ezra offered to read over Aria’s writing, and Aria described her passion for books and certain authors. These two bookworms fell for each other instantly, and neither of them had a clue about their age difference.
3. Ezra Has Aria’s Best Interests at Heart When Ezra talks about “the future,” Aria tends to get defensive and put her guard up. She thinks aloud about where she’ll want to go to college, and what she’ll do with her life, but we feel like she’s just testing Ezra (hey, at the time she was only 15 so we forgive the emotional immaturity). But it’s Ezra who is the realistic, open and honest one, telling her that the future isn’t for them to decide in the present. He would never limit Aria’s dreams, no matter what shape or form they take.
4. Ezra Sacrificed His Job to Protect Aria How many guys do you know who would give up a job they truly loved, and possibly risk their career prospects, for a girl they’d known less than a year? After various threats from Noel (Brant Daugherty) and “A,” Ezra (without even knowing about “A”) decided to quit his teaching job at Rosewood High and attempt a brand new career path at Hollis University, under the mentorship of one Mr. Byron Montgomery. Not only did Byron like Ezra from the start — he admired him professionally.
5. They’re Soulmates! No matter what Byron and Ella think of the age difference and the inappropriateness of Ezria’s relationship, no one can deny the power of one magic word: soulmates. Both Ian and Lucy think so anyway. In interviews with Wetpaint Entertainment, both stars agreed that this kind of relationship is “once in a lifetime.”
So lay off, Montgomerys! Well, easier said than done.