Continuing in our tradition of looking closely at the top “A” suspects, here are the five reasons why we think Melissa could turn out to be “A.”
1. Melissa and Spencer give new meaning to the words “family feud.” Spencer and Melissa’s relationship has had more ups and downs than the stock market, which is why we wouldn’t be that surprised if Melissa really is intent on torturing Spencer as “A.” The two sibs have had repeated spats, over everything from Spencer kissing Wren Kim (Julian Morris) to Spencer’s overall hatred of Ian Thomas (Ryan Merriman). We don’t know why Melissa would hate the other girls, but Melissa isn’t exactly the happy-go-lucky type, so we’re sure she could find reasons to hate more people.
2. Melissa and Alison fit together as well as tank tops and wintertime. Clearly, “A” is going to be someone who really hated Alison DiLaurentis (Sasha Pieterse), and Melissa had reason to hate her as much as anyone (which is saying something!). Not only did Ali date Ian, but we also see that Ali had tried to turn Spencer against her sister in Season 2, Episode 13:”The First Secret.” Then again, if you lined up all the people who hated Ali, it would be longer than a line outside an Apple store for the new iPhone.
3. Was Melissa the one who saved Spencer from Ian in the bell tower? When Ian disappeared in the bell tower in Season 1, Episode 22: “For Whom the Bell Tolls”, we couldn’t help but think that — since Ian asked why “A” was there, just before getting pushed — it seemed that Ian knew “A,” which would point the finger at Melissa. And we can’t help but also think that the reason “A” was so quick to snatch up Melissa’s wedding ring was again because Melissa is “A.” (Either that, or “A” is Frodo, and this is the ring he’s been searching for all along.)
4. Marrying Ian is almost as bad a decision as marrying Russell Brand. We feel the same way about someone who would marry Ian as we would about someone who saw the Adam Sandler movie Jack and Jill: We automatically don’t trust their judgment. In fact, we’re still suspicious of Melissa’s motives for suddenly eloping with Ian, and who knows what secrets they could have shared. If we were a judge, we would declare Melissa to be “creepy by association.”
5. Let’s just say that neither Melissa nor “A” are looking forward to Valentine’s Day. Melissa has clearly been unlucky in love, and if she is in fact “A,” that could explain why so many of A’s actions seem to be anti-love, with “A” continually ending the girls’ relationships. And maybe the reason that “A” is dead-set on breaking up Spencer and Toby is because Melissa doesn’t want to see Spencer in a happy relationship. (Come to think of it, perhaps “A” is just lonely, and all this would all be over if “A” were to give Match.com a try.)
Got someone else in mind for “A”? Check out our theories on why Paige, Mona, Maya, Noel, and Jason could be “A” and check back as we look into more reasons why other characters could be “A.”