Adele Realizes She Has Alzheimer’s: OMG Moments From Grey’s Anatomy Season 8, Episode 16
This week's installment of Grey's Anatomy (Season 8, Episode 16: “If Only You Were Lonely”) had a freaky medical disaster, involving an espresso machine going postal on everyone's ass, but, to be honest, the medical dramz only gets an honorable mention among last night's most shocking moments. Much juicier stuff went on in the interpersonal relationships, so let's dive right in, shall we?
1. Mark discovers Jackson is still in love with Lexie After spending an entire episode throwing around his McSteamy weight in an effort to get a stressed out, wound up Jackson (Jesse Williams) laid, Mark Sloan (Eric Dane) finally realizes why his protege won't up his game: he's still in love with their ex-girlfriend-in-common Lexie (Chyler Leigh). Jackson, of course, neither confirms nor denies this, but the whole conversation transpires in an awkward elevator scene, so it's obvious that it's true.
2. Adele realizes she has Alzheimer's We know last season Loretta Devine (Adele) won an Emmy for her portrayal as the former Chief's wife, but, hot damn, is she hitting herself an acting streak right now. In an utterly heartbreaking moment of lucidity, Adele confronts her disease and realizes how quickly she's fading. She allows Richard (James Pickens Jr.) to put her in a full-time care facility and oh, god, the whole thing is just so sad.
3. Cristina snoops on Owen Despite fighting her suspicions regarding Owen’s (Kevin McKidd) infidelity, Cristina (Sandra Oh) finally suffers a partial psychotic break and snoops through his email, checks his phone bills, and sniffs his shirt collars in a harried montage. She never actually finds any evidence against him, but, man, are things rough for our fave twisted sister right now.
4. Alex and Morgan's loaded moment The shot was less than five seconds long, but Shonda Rhimes knows how to pack a punch in five seconds. At the close of the episode, Karev (Justin Chambers) and his intern Morgan share a glance over her baby's incubator which definitely communicates something messy and romantic is about to ensue. KAREV! Stop dating the crazies!
5. Derek learns how to brush his daughter’s hair The impeccably coiffed McDreamy may have his morning hair routine down to a science, but significantly more challenges arise when he tackles Baby Zola's hair while Meredith (Ellen Pompeo) spends a morning away. This questionably hilarious storyline is resolved, of course, by Bailey (Chanda Wilson), who steps in to educate Derek on the finer points of styling his black daughter's hair — "Gather. Gather. Gath-er." Got it? Good.
Grey’s Anatomy airs Thursdays at 9 p.m. ET/PT on ABC.