Happy Birthday Cheryl Burke! Here Are 5 Reasons We Love You
Dancing With the Starspro Cheryl Burke was born on May 3, 1984, making her 28-years-sexy today. In honor of the spring baby’s b-day, here are five reasons we love Miss Cheryl:
1. She’s the first two-time DWTS champ What were you doing at age 21? Cheryl was kicking serious tush on her first season of DWTS. She started on the show with Season 2 in January 2006, when she was 21. She won that season with Drew Lachey, giving us arguably the best Freestyle routine of all time. Not done, later that year she won a second time, with Emmitt Smith. What happened to slacking through your college years?
2. She’s kind of the first three-time winner Technically, Derek Hough has the honor of being the first — and right now, only — three-time pro Mirror Ball champion, but … in our hearts … Cheryl won with Gilles Marini on Season 8. If Gilles and Cheryl return this fall on the mythical All-Stars season we keep hearing about, it would be great to see them fight for that long lost honor.
3. She gets the hottest partners Speaking of Gilles, he was considered just about the hottest thing to hit DWTS until the ballroom turned itself into a rock concert for the likes of Season 14’s William Levy. (Still love you best, Gilles!) Cheryl also danced with Cristian de la Fuente, who would be considered anyone’s hottest partner if they didn’t also have the other guys. She's also danced with other hotties like Drew Lachey, Ian Ziering and Rick Fox. Yeah, she also danced with Wayne Newton and Tom DeLay, but her track record for landing hot partners is pretty impressive. Well done, Cheryl. Well done.
4. She’s a celeb’s best bet Chaz Bono may have been afraid of Cheryl, but he should’ve swallowed his fears and put in a formal request for Burke Boot Camp. Look at how many times she’s taken men to the finals from seasons 2-13: Drew (won), Emmitt (won), Cristian (third), Gilles (second), Rob Kardashian (second). She’s also on track to head to the finals again with Loverboy Levy and Chaz himself thinks William & Cheryl will win. She's also just missed the finals twice, taking fourth place with Ian and Chad Ochocinco. She's never been eliminated first; her worst showing was with Tom DeLay (shocker) but only because he withdrew from the competition due to his injury.
5. She’s a fascinating person off the dance floor too Cheryl’s kind of a mini mogul at 28. She’s a dance studio owner. She started her own shoe and clothing lines. She’s an author — and in her book, Dancing Lessons, she bravely shared some harrowing details from her past. She’s close enough with the Kardashians to be like an honorary sister. And she’s good friends with her fellow pros; earlier this year she flew to Sydney to hang out with pro BFF Kym Johnson. Last year she and pro Maksim Chmerkovskiy had a did-they-or-didn’t they kiss (take that, Maria and Derek!) that they insisted was just friends hanging out together. Cheryl recently said she’s “so single” — and there’s nothing wrong with that — but, just to be annoying aunts, maybe she and Maks should really consider taking their friendship to the next level. Why not?
Happy birthday, girl! Keep doing us proud/making us jealous for another 28 years.
Dancing With the Stars airs Mondays and Tuesdays on ABC.
Gina Carbone is a contributing writer at Wetpaint Entertainment. Follow her on Twitter @ginacarbone.