Part guardian, part bro, Alaric Saltzman (Matt Davis) is the best butt-kicking history teacher in Mystic Falls. Or at least he was. Now that Alaric’s officially an invincible, Original Vampire-hunting über vamp, his days, it seems, are numbered. Come with us as we celebrate the best moments of Mr. Alaric Saltzman.
10. Alaric and Isobel Reunite Season 1, Episode 21, “Isobel” Sometimes we forget that Elena’s birth mother was Alaric’s first love. And that the image of his wife being fed on by a vampire is the whole reason ‘Ric got into the hunter business. But this episode reminded us. In “Isobel,” she comes to town and proceeds to wreck ‘Ric’s world. She forces him to set up a meeting with Elena. Threatens to kill his students. And finally compels him not to forget her but to move the [bleep] on.
9. Alaric Outs Caroline and Tyler Season 3, Episode 21, “Before Sunset” In a stone cold move of the maniacal sort, invincible vampire Alaric called an emergency meeting of the town council, then proceeded to put Caroline and Tyler’s supernatural status on blast. In one move he turned the town’s muscle against Mayor Lockwood and Sheriff Forbes. But then he used vamp speed to stop the sheriff from leaving. This can’t end well.
8. Alaric Stakes Logan Fell Season 1, Episode 10, “The Turning Point” Remember when ‘Ric was still just the hot new teacher in town? This moment changed it all. Alaric was just starting to get over Isobel. He was moving on with Aunt Jenna. But then Jenna’s annoying TV reporter ex-boyfriend came back to town an undead jerk. And he just wouldn’t stop. “Jenna's a good person, she deserves the best. I'm here to make sure she gets it,” ‘Ric said when he confronted Logan in a warehouse parking lot. The neo-vamp got cocky. “You have no idea who you're talking to,” he said. Famous last words. ‘Ric staked him and — surprise! — that’s how we learn the hot history buff is a vampire slayer.
7. Evil Alaric Tries to Kill Meredith Season 3, Episode 17, “Break on Through” This was our first time seeing Evil Alaric. Doc Meredith had figured out that the Gilbert family ring was making her BF crazy and she’d bravely agreed to babysit him. Her plan was to sedate the crazy out of ‘Ric if he tried anything. His plan was to kill the vampire-blood-using M.D. “Do you ever feel remorse?” he asked Meredith. The look in his eyes betrayed his murderous intentions. After ranting about about how the founding families failed to protect Mystic Falls, ‘Ric lunged at his new girlfriend with the knife. What followed was a scalding-hot-coffee-tossing scene of domestic violence that ended with Meredith stabbing ‘Ric with a pair of shears.
6. Damon Kills Alaric — For the First Time Season 1, Episode 15, “A Few Good Men” Sometimes Alaric is too brave for his own good. After figuring out that Damon was the vampire he’d seen feeding on his wife Isobel, he marched over to the Salvatore Manse for a little revenge. “Are you really this stupid?” Damon asked when Teach entered with a stake in hand. What followed was humbling. Hurtful. Brutal for Mr. Saltzman. Damon bragged about sleeping with Isobel and turning her “because she begged me to.” Then he easily disarmed ‘Ric, stabbed him in the lung, and had a drink while he watched him die on the floor in front of the fire. The upside was the look on Stefan’s face hours later when the teacher gulped back to life. Little did we know this would be the first of seven (!) resurrections.
5. Alaric Dies Again — With Damon at His Side Season 3, Episode 20, “Do Not Go Gentle” Alaric’s death was supposed to be for real this time. Esther had worked her magic on his evil side and he was supposed to turn. But Good Guy ‘Ric had refused to become a vampire. Instead the teacher settled down in the Salvatore family crypt for one last whiskey round with his drinking buddy Damon. As ‘Ric drew his final breaths, there were tears (from ‘Ric), apologies (from Damon), and bro-tastically sarcastic retorts from both sides.
4. Klaus Possesses Alaric Season 2, Episode 17, “Know Thy Enemy” Katherine had been captured and incapacitated. When she woke up, she looked across the room to see a witch working some weird mojo on Alaric’s head. She tried to run. But Alaric caught her. And when his mouth opened to speak, a creepy Slavic accent poured out. This was the beginning of a two-episode stretch where Alaric, a prisoner inside his own body, had to watch as Klaus learned all the insider deets about Elena, Bonnie, and Co.
Bob Mahoney/The CW
3. Alaric Saves Jeremy’s Life Season 3, Episode 10, “The New Deal” Jeremy was playing chicken with an SUV. And the kid, who’d taken off his live-forever ring, was about to lose. So ‘Ric did what heroes do: As the car barreled down the road, he raced into the street and shoved Jer out of the way just in time to save his life. But he was not fast enough to protect his own. The car plowed into Alaric, cracking his spine and sending him rolling down the block. The driver, a sire-bonded hybrid, stopped only to gloat. “There I go again, bumping into people,” he said.
2. Alaric Tells Elena How He Really Feels Season 3, Episode 21, “Before Sunset” We’ve all thought it at least once. But only Vampire Alaric had the nerve to put it in words. Teach took a break from torturing Caroline to scold Elena for switching teams on her family’s legacy and not feeling guilty about it. “You’re an 18-year-old girl without parents or guidance or any sense of right and wrong anymore,” he told her. “Do you actually think that they [your parents] would be proud of you?” As much as we hate to admit it, he kind of had a point. But he lost all sympathy when he proceeded to hand Elena a stake tell her to kill her good friend.
1. Alaric Drinks Bonnie Season 3, Episode 20, “Do Not Go Gentle” We sure didn’t see this coming. Moments after we thought Sir Saltzman had died a noble death, an entranced Bonnie walked barefoot into the crypt, stabbed her palm, and pressed her bleeding hand against Alaric’s mouth. Suddenly, ‘Ric bolted awake. His eyes went all vampy and he drank like his afterlife depended on it — because it did. He started with her hand, then moved up to her neck before dropping Bon-bon’s body like an empty pop bottle. The last shot we see is Alaric standing over the witch, fangs bared, blood dripping from his lips — a true monster at last.
Need your daily Vampire Diaries fix? Like us on our Facebook page, or follow us on Twitter!