Reality TV competitions can follow a lot of different paths. Sometimes the finale is a nail biter, coming down to two or more contestants who are all equally capable of taking home the prize. Sometimes, you have a clear frontrunner who rides their success all the way to the top (*yawn*). And then sometimes you have weird upsets, like Jermaine Paul’s recent win on The Voice, which was a surprise we're still not sure we like. (We wanted Juliet Simms, and we stick by that.)
In that spirit, here are eight memorable reality TV upsets that we still haven't really recovered from.
1. Adam Lambert Loses to Kris Allen on American Idol: Remember when Adam Lambert lost American Idol Season 8 to Kris Allen and it was completely ridiculous? Sorry, Kris. You're cute, but Adam is still the winner in our hearts.
4. Richard Blais Chokes on Top Chef Season 4: Richard Blais was the obvious pick to win Top Chef Season 4, so it was heartbreaking to watch the prize slip out of his hands because of his own mistakes in the finale. Fortunately, he redeemed himself by winning Top Chef: All Stars.
5. Gretchen Jones Beats Mondo Guerra on Project Runway: Okay, so, this wasn't exactly an upset, as the judges liked Gretchen the whole time. But it sure was upsetting, because seriously, why did the judges like Gretchen the whole time? She was deeply unpleasant and her designs got repetitive, especially compared to Mondo's refreshingly unique pattern combos. We still don't understand the logic behind this decision, and the only thing that makes it okay is Mondo's subsequent Project Runway: All Stars win.
6. Gilles Marini Comes In Second on Dancing With the Stars: Sometimes we forget that sexy Gilles Marini didn't win DWTS Season 8. The actor was beat out by gymnast Shawn Johnson by less than 1%. Talk about a close call!
7. Tyra wins RuPaul's Drag Race: Personality-lessTyra's win over fan-favorites Raven and JuJuBee on RuPaul's Drag Race Season 2 was a highlycontroversial move. We're still not really sure how we feel about it.
8. One Direction Fails to Win X Factor UK: British boy band One Direction is the next big thing, so it's hard to believe they only walked away with third place on X Factor UK in 2010. Clearly, that didn't stop them from taking off.
Rebecca Martin is an editor at Wetpaint Entertainment. Follow her on Twitter @BeccaMartin47.