How Many Times Has Alaric Died on The Vampire Diaries?
If we had knownAlaric (Matt Davis) was having mind-altering séances on the other side with Esther (Alice Evans), his multiple deaths on The Vampire Diaries probably wouldn’t have been as amusing. The poor guy has been stabbed, staked, and mowed down by a speeding car. In fact, Alaric has lost his life (and regained it) so many times, we wanted to go back and relive (no pun intended) all his deaths and resurrections. Even the last one. (Sob!)
1. Damon stakes Alaric in Season 1, Episode 15, “A Few Good Men” It’s always about a lady. Alaric confronts Damon about killing his wife, Isobel. When Damon tells him that, actually, he turned her into a vampire, Alaric goes on the attack. “Sounds like I got a lung, which means I get to sit here and watch you die,” Damon says after the stake misses its mark and gets the vampire hunter instead. It’s all very tragic for several minutes, until Alaric wakes up and tellsStefan (Paul Wesley) about his very special jewelry.
2. Werewolf Stevie stabs Alaric in Season 2, Episode 14, “Crying Wolf” Damon’s chilling in the Salvatore mansion when he hears something go bump in the night. He finds his pal ‘Ric with a serious abdominal wound, and a pack of werewolves — including Jules (Michaela McManus) — descends. Though Damon comes to after their attack with a torture collar around his neck, he still seems relieved his drinking buddy — who is lying “dead” on the rug — was wearing his ring at the time.
3. Damon breaks Alaric’s neck in Season 3, Episode 4, “Disturbing Behavior” So many of these deaths involve Damon, don’t they? He, Alaric, andElena (Nina Dobrev) are having a chat about the menace that is Bill Forbes (Jack Coleman). BecauseCaroline’s (Candice Accola) father could resist compulsion, Damon was itching to kill him. When Alaric tried to stop him, Damon gave him a “temporary funeral” and snapped his neck. Needless to say, Elena wasn’t happy.
4. Hybrid Tony kills Alaric with a car in Season 3, Episode 10, “The New Deal” Didn’t anyone ever tellJeremy (Steven R. McQueen) not to play in the street? When E’s little bro got an order fromKlaus (Joseph Morgan) to go stand in the road, his hybrid minion Tony prepared to take him out with an SUV. Luckily, Alaric pushed him out of the way… though he took longer than usual to come to again.
5. Elena stabs Alaric in Season 3, Episode 13, “Bringing Out the Dead” Elena andMatt (Zach Roerig) find Alaric with liters of blood all over the house. As Matt prepares to call 911, Elena realizes that because she’s a supernatural being (doppelganger powers!), she can kill the history teacher and he’ll come back from the dead. She picks up the kitchen knife and plunges it into his chest. Matt was right. It was messed up — but necessary.
6. Klaus snaps Alaric’s neck in Season 3, Episode 19, “Heart of Darkness” Aw, bonding time between Alaric and Stefan is interrupted by Klaus. He’s looking for the final Wickery Bridge sign stake, and he doesn’t want to wait for Alaric to pass out so his evil alter ego can come out and play. “I feel totally justified doing this,” Klaus says before vamping over and breaking Alaric’s neck. We’re getting sort of used to it by now.
7. Esther turns Alaric in Season 3, Episode 20, “Do Not Go Gentle” Um, Esther’s a little crazy. Her plan is to turn Alaric into an Original vampire so he can murder her children. After he swigs a little doppelganger blood, she stakes him the gut, and he goes down. For the final time, he comes back from the grave — though not because of his ring. On the cusp of transitioning into a vamp, Alaric is himself once again. He prepares to die for real — and for keeps — but he drinksBonnie’s (Kat Graham) blood and completes the spell.
8. Elena dies, and so does Alaric in Season 3, Episode 22, “The Departed” Okay, we get a little verklempt just thinking about this one. Basically, the only way to end Evilaric’s reign of terror was for Elena to die. Esther’s witchy woo tied their lives together, so when Elena went over the Wickery Bridge (the deadliest bridge in the tri-county area), her death triggered the final part of the spell. Sigh. Goodnight, sweet prince.
Need your daily Vampire Diaries fix? Like us on our Facebook page, or follow us on Twitter!