7. Cristina's icicle impaling Let's kick things off with the least-offensive and most-dubious of all these injuries. Cristina (Sandra Oh) was too busy arguing with Meredith (Ellen Pompeo) to take heed of the icy ground outside Seattle Grace or of the precipitously-perched icicles on the eaves. And sure enough, Cristina fell on her butt, and then an icicle fell and embedded its mischievous self right in her abdomen. And it was so preposterous, Mer and Cristina practically laughed about it! But remember: that icicle brought Owen Hunt (Kevin McKidd) into Cristina's life.
6. Burke's gunshot wound Preston Burke got caught in the crossfire when a man shot his smarmy ex-manager outside of Seattle Grace. And that happened just as Izzie cut Denny's LVAD wire to expedite his heart transplant, assuming that Burke would be a page away. (Cue trademark Alanis song!) Both Burke and Denny ended up being fine, but Burke and Cristina had to conspire for weeks to cover the hand tremors the injury caused.
5. Alex's, Derek's, and Owen's gunshot wounds Speaking of gunshots, more rang out the sixth season finale than in the rest of the series combined. Disgruntled widower Gary Clark returned to Seattle Grace with a vengeance and a firearm, and he ended up shooting three of Seattle Grace's hunkiest — um — we mean, most talented surgeons.
4. Meredith's drowning Remember when that patient tripped Meredith and she fell into Puget Sound during the ferry disaster? And remember how she valiantly swam her way to the surface and survived? Oh, right, that didn't happen! She gave up on life and stopped swimming, and she and her Converse sneaks drowned. Then Derek (Patrick Dempsey) had to dive in to pluck her blue, oxygen-deprived body out of the water. What a drama queen! At least her ghost-mother talked some sense into her.
3. Callie's car accident Since the musical episode was so polarizing, we wouldn't be surprised if some of you wished Callie (Sara Ramirez) had died instead of dreaming up a Seattle Grace revue. And her injuries were so severe, she almost did. Seriously, you don't get thrown through a windshield and just walk it off.
2. Percy's and Reed's deaths Gary Clark's murderous rampage through Seattle Grace all started when he abruptly shot Reed Adamson just for sassing him. Sure, we had never really warmed up to her, but we were still startled out of our seats. And later, he fatally shot Charles Percy, another Mercy Wester, as Bailey watched in silent horror.
1. George's bus accident At least we were braced for a major character's death during this season's finale. We weren't so lucky three seasons ago, when the John Doe who had so gallantly stepped in front of a bus to save another pedestrian turned out to be George. It was the departure we never saw coming, and we can still feel the chill down our spines we felt when he traced "007" on Meredith's palm.
Miss Grey’s? Us too. Luckily the show will return to Thursdays at 9 p.m. with all-new episodes in the fall onABC.
Dan is a contributing writer at Wetpaint Entertainment. Follow him on Twitter@SixFourDan.