DWTS All-Stars Rumor Roundup: Which Stars and Pros Will Return?
We already know every celeb and pro who will be competing on Dancing With the Stars All-Stars Season 15 — because we’ve been watching them for 14 seasons. We just still aren’t sure — even a day before the announcement — which of these old friends will be taking the plunge for the fall season. However, rumors are out there and they are not only interesting, they require us as viewers to get off our tushes and help fill out the cast.
Here are some rumor updates, with the full (celeb and pro or just celeb?) cast being revealed tomorrow, Friday, July 27. The cast won’t be revealed live on TV like they usually do so just check back to Wetpaint's DWTS page tomorrow for the cast list — and your role when it comes to voting in the final contestant. Prepare to do your part!
WHEN WILL THE SEASON START?
The All-Stars season will start on Monday, September 24 at 8 p.m. ET/PT, and the results show will start on Tuesday, September 25, also at 8 p.m., at least for the first week.
HOW MANY COUPLES WILL COMPETE?
Amysterious tweet from hostTom Bergeron made it sound like they will be revealing all but one cast member tomorrow, with fans potentially voting on the final person. On Wednesday, @DWTSGossip shared more details: "#DWTS all-stars scoop: this season will have 12 couples. Tom and Brooke will announce 11 contestants and then present 3 more options and the fans will vote on the 12th celeb.” That’s one way to avoid spoilers about the full cast!
Lisa Rose/ Courtesy of QVC
NEW CASTING RUMORS
Who is rumored to be dancing? Everyone!
At first we thought it might just be “the best of the best” competing, then the idea was introduced to bring back previous winners and “charismatic” contestants (like Carson Kressley) who maybe weren’t the best dancers, along with “controversial” folks (like Bristol Palin). But it’s not clear what they settled on for a formula.
With no one confirmed, here are some new updates.
Entertainment Weekly has a report out today (July 26), saying, "The industry whisperers have been quieter than usual this cycle, but we’re still hearing names of a few celebrities who are expected to return to the ballroom: Melissa Rycroft (Season 8), Joey Fatone (Season 4) and Pamela Anderson (Season 10) are likely to don sequins when the show resumes this fall."
They had no information on whether Bristol Palin was in or not — according to Ted Casablanca's recent tweet, she's in — but they added that we shouldn't expect Stacy Keibler to return, despite Stacy leaving that door open. So no Stacy/Tony Dovolani reunion, but maybe a Melissa/Tony reunion. As long as Tony has a fighting chance to win this time, we're good.
EW also repeated the news that ABC is letting fans pick one of the returning stars, adding, "The network will announce the names of three former DWTS contestants (we’re hearing Carson Kressley is one of them) and let viewers vote on which celebrity gets the final spot on the show."
If Carson is on the list, chances are good he'll return, right?
A ROUNDUP OF PREVIOUS CASTING RUMORS
Here’s more of what’s been reported in the past few months.
• Last we heard, brand spankin’ new American citizen Gilles Marini had been asked to do All-Stars but wasn’t sure he would do it. If he did return, he would only dance with his original partner, Cheryl Burke. Good thing, ‘cause Cheryl said she would only return for All-Stars with Gilles. So if Cheryl hints at coming back it’s probably because Gilles is back too. #DreamTeam!
• Here’s an intriguing tweet about Season 1 winner Kelly Monaco that hints to her possible return.
• Joey Fatone has some recent experience under his belt from DWTS: Live in Las Vegas, and he told Examiner.com he may do All-Stars “for the fun of it.”
• In mid-July, Robin Leach of Las Vegas Weekly reported “strong rumors” that Carson Kressley and Joey Lawrence will return. The report also said Maria Menounos could be given a second shot “but probably with a different partner.” Joey and Carson both tweeted hints about coming back.
• Evan Lysacek appears to have moved in with Vera Wang (!) and it’s possible — at least to our speculating minds — that he’s hanging out with her in Beverly Hills to be around for DWTS All-Stars training in LA. His Season 10 partner Anna Trebunskaya tweeted support for his return, and reigning champion Peta Murgatroyd has said she’d like to dance with Evan too.
• Cloris Leachman, now 86, wants to return to finish the work she started on Season 7. Like, she needs to fully drive Corky Ballas insane.
• In early June, Season 3’s Mario Lopez told TV Guide, "I'm really busy, so I don't think I'll be able to do it. I don't watch the show and didn't even watch when I was on it. My mom wanted me to do it." That sounded like a "Hell no, All-Stars," but Mario later tweeted that he "never" said he wouldn't do All-Stars, just that he's "extremely busy and doesn't know yet." So, there's still hope for Mario fans.
• Brandy Norwood said doing DWTS Season 11 almost scared her to death and the idea of returning makes her cringe. That said, she wouldn’t shut the door on it. She said she’s the kind of person that if she’s really afraid to do something, she’ll do it.
• Chelsea Kane has a new show called Baby Daddy, but the Season 12 dancer recently talked to Wetpaint Entertainment about All-Stars. "I definitely, definitely love Dancing With the Stars. I will be watching, if I’m not involved. It was one of the best experiences of my life, but also very taxing so it’s hard to imagine being involved. But we’ll see." So if Mark Ballas doesn’t dance with ex-girlfriend Sabrina Bryan, maybe he’ll be re-paired with Chelsea?
• Back in May, Mel B tweeted to her old partner Maks about returning for All-Stars and Radar Online quoted a show insider as saying Mel really wants to come back for another shot at winning the Mirror Ball trophy.
• Also back in May, Us Weekly (via Radar Online) reported that Kelly Osbourne, Bristol Palin, Melissa Rycroft, Gilles Marini, Kyle Massey, Chelsea Kane, Lance Bass and Mario Lopez had all been mentioned as next season's contestants.
• Before that report came out, a DWTS staffer told TV Guide some past contestants believed to be returning were Mario Lopez, Gilles Marini, Mel B., Sabrina Bryan and Kyle Massey.
• A DWTS insider told HollywoodLife.com that producers were going to ask Season 10 diva Kate Gosselin to return, but only as a last resort since the cast and crew “hated her.”
• Ralph Macchio is out. "I think that cast is set already," Ralph told USA Today on July 16. "I hear it's finalists.”
However, Maksim Chmerkovskiy appears to know he’s coming back (despite doing his usual “I don’t know if I want to return” dance after last season). He just told Celebuzz, “I can’t wait to see who I’m going to get. I’m going to have a great time… This is going to be the first time we don’t start from scratch but pick it up where you left off.”
He also added this cryptic note: “We have some new pros, [as] some old pros won’t be coming back.” We interpreted that to mean not brand new never-met-you-before pros, but one of the newer pros (like Tristan MacManus and Peta Murgatroyd) being paired with someone they hadn’t danced with before. That might be necessary, since some past pros don’t seem to be returning to DWTS any time soon. (Alec Mazo and Edyta Sliwinska, we still miss you!)
Julianne Houghtold Access Hollywood if her two winning partners — Apolo Anton Ohno and Helio Castroneves — asked her to return for All-Stars, “it would be the hardest decision of my life, because they meant so much to me and really started basically my career and just the relationships that I gained because of them, just being friends and everything, meant so much that it would be really hard. Yeah, we'll see." Since she’s currently in North Carolina shooting the movie Safe Haven, she probably won’t be jumping back into the fray for All-Stars.
What else? Heard any new rumors we should add to this list? Please share in the comments — and don’t forget to come back tomorrow for the real deal!
Dancing With the Stars airs Mondays and Tuesdays onABC.
Gina Carbone is a contributing writer at Wetpaint Entertainment. Follow her on Twitter@ginacarbone.