6. Unbroken Right as Lexie (Chyler Leigh) was fretting about being a "one-woman wrecking ball" in Mark's life — which might have been justified, given the condition of Mark's manhood at the time — he said something that is at once charming, nonchalant, and incredibly romantic. "You think you broke me, Little Grey? You're the one who put me back together." Cue us swooning off of our couches.
5. Becoming a father We of course have to mention Mark's first biological daughter, Sloane Riley — but she was grown-up and angsty and troublesome. So let's focus instead on Mark inadvertently fathering a baby with Callie (Sara Ramirez)... and, by circumstance, with Arizona (Jessica Capshaw). What else could tame the seemingly-irrepressible womanizer than the responsibility of fatherhood? He took on the task with gusto and became a man Sofia will be proud to call a father.
4. Marry me, maybe Mark wasn't about to let a little thing like Lexie's committed relationship — with Alex Karev (Justin Chambers), in this case — stop him from pursuing her. He told her he was ready to settle down because he was in love with her and only her. She reminded him she that had a boyfriend. "I know. I'm saying you can have a husband." Um, did he just propose? Was it really that nonchalant? Because he just walked away all cool-like, leaving that quasi-proposal hanging heavily over Lexie's head.
3. Becoming McSteamy From immediately flirting with Meredith (Ellen Pompeo) to taking Derek's (Patrick Dempsey) fist to the face to suturing his own wound, Mark Sloan's entrance at Seattle Grace was anything but quiet. He had Mer, Izzie, and Cristina (Sandra Oh) all lusting after him — so much so that they immediately dubbed him "McSteamy."
2. Vision of the future Sorry, sorry, we know you just dried your tears over Lexie's death, but we have to include Mark's final speech to her: "I love you. I've always been in love with you. I will always be in love with you... which is why you have to stay alive. We're gonna get married. And you're gonna make an amazing surgeon. And we're gonna have two or three kids [...] We're gonna be happy, Lex, you and me. We're gonna have the best life, Lex, you and me. So you can't die, okay? Because we're supposed to end up together. We're meant to be."
1. Stepping out of the shower First of all, who puts a towel around himself when he's alone in a hotel room with his ladylove (in this case, Addison)? But that's just a quibble, because when Mark stepped out of the shower, all muscly and wet, we saw a whole lot of Eric. And we almost got a peek at his Dane, if you catch our drift. Derek was there to witness the whole thing, much to Addison's embarrassment, and he used the sight of Sloan in a barely-there towel to toast the official end of his and Addie's marriage.
Grey’s Anatomy Season 9 will premiere on Thursday, September 27 at 9 p.m. ET/PT onABC.