The DWTS All-Star Cast’s 5 Best Freestyles (VIDEO)
Out of the 12 celebs definitely competing on Dancing With the StarsSeason 15 All-Stars, all but one made it to the Finals to perform a Freestyle routine. (Sorry, Pamela Anderson!) The Freestyles are considered the make-or-break dances that determine who wins and who stews about it for the next five years. Looking back, you can definitely see how that one dance elevated some contestants beyond others. Here are our five favorite Freestyles from the All-Stars cast — we can’t wait to see more!
5. Helio Castroneves & Julianne Hough, Season 5 Helio and Julianne Houghsported car-racing gear for a fun, clap-happy, season-winning Freestyle with lots of impressive lifts and tricks. It wasn’t quite the show-stopper she had with Apolo Anton Ohno the season before, but you can't beat double cartwheels.
4. Emmitt Smith & Cheryl Burke, Season 3 Cheryl followed up her Season 2 success with Drew Lachey by taunting the competition with a Freestyle to "U Can't Touch This." And no one could! You can’t help but smile as Emmitt shows off his running man in those golden shoes. Maybe the routine lacked the impressive polish of Drew & Cheryl, but it's fun and feel-good and that's why they won.
3. Shawn Johnson & Mark Ballas, Season 8 Double cartwheels. Double back flips. Black suits. Sparkling masks. Sparkling pants. Neon green tops. So much gymnastics. Mark channeled his inner Olympian for this ambitious routine that's pretty exhausting just to watch — but crazy impressive. Adore Gilles Marini, but this is why he lost.
2. Apolo Anton Ohno & Julianne Hough, Season 4 Sporting black-and-white bandanas, Apolo and Julianne looked like the coolest hip hop Karate Kids ever. The routine had great tricks in unison, blindfolded dancing and a memorable bit of solo breakdancing from the Olympian. Tip to all future Freestylers: Breakdance!
1. Drew Lachey & Cheryl Burke, Season 2 This Freestyle was not only named the #1 fan favorite routine in DWTS history, it was referenced in Donald Driver & Peta Murgatroyd's Season 14-winning Freestyle this past spring. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but nothing beats the original. Ride ‘em, cowboy!
Dancing With the Stars Season 15: All-Stars will premiere on Monday, September 24 at 8 p.m. ET/PT onABC.