Before the episode airs tonight, August 7, we thought we'd theorize about why Caleb would possibly say such a thing. Here are five ideas we came up with. Tell us your own theories in the comments below.
1. He's quoting something or someone. Maybe he received a text from someone saying "I'm 'A,'" or overheard someone saying it. Or maybe he even discovered it's the password to Maya's (Bianca Lawson) website. The point is, the "I" in that sentence doesn't have to be about Caleb.
2. To get Hanna's attention. Hanna and Caleb aren't exactly on the best terms right now. Maybe he really needs her to get into the car with him for some reason, and thinks this bold lie is the best way to get her to come.
3. To make a point. Maybe Caleb finds out that another "A" is stalking the girls, and that's why Hanna is acting so weird. Perhaps he says "I'm 'A'" to make the point that anyone could be the stalker, and she can't let fear control her.
4. Clever editing. Maybe he doesn't say "I'm 'A'" at all. Maybe he says "I'm a [something]," and the promo is just super misleading.
5. He really is "A". Nah. We seriously doubt this. Even if he is "A" or part of the "A" team, why would he admit it?
We'll find out the truth tonight at 8 p.m. ET/PT onABC Family.
Rebecca Martin is an editor at Wetpaint Entertainment. Follow her on Twitter@BeccaMartin47.