In an attempt to quell our fears that the worst will happen, we've been brainstorming the many different ways Arizona's story could go. Here's what we've come up with.
1. She dies: This one needs no explanation. All we can do is cross our fingers that it doesn't happen.
2. She loses her leg: The last time we saw her, Arizona had a bone sticking out of her leg. This would be a hugely dramatic twist, and would explain why Shonda Rhimes says that Arizona's fate has a big impact on Callie (Sara Ramirez), since having to help your wife through something like this is obviously pretty all-consuming.
3. She is permanently crippled: The slightly less dramatic version of her losing her leg. As anyone who watched House knows, a bad leg injury — especially if it leaves Arizona in constant pain — could have a major impact on her life.
4. She has to go through intense physical therapy: The more cheerful version of this same idea would be that Arizona spends a large chunk of the season dealing with physical therapy and being hindered by her injury, but eventually manages to get her leg working again.
5. Callie operates on her leg: This could go along with of one of the above options, but we still think it would be interesting if Callie ends up being the one to operate on Arizona for some reason (such as her being part of the rescue team). That could leave Callie with a lot of intense emotions that she has to deal with after the operation is over.
6. Arizona is just fine: Maybe Shonda is messing with us, and Arizona recovers quickly and easily. We kind of doubt it, though!
What do you think will happen to Arizona? Let us know in the comments below.