Season 3 of The Vampire Diaries was pretty deadly. Even Elena (Nina Dobrev) didn’t make it. The gasp-worthy moments were punctuated by a killer soundtrack, and the weepiest scenes were consistently scored with songs that made us even more teary. Check out the top 12 music moments, and let us know if your favorite made the list.
12. Episode:Season 3, Episode 22 Song: “So What” Artist: Pink Music moment: Elena wakes up in a flashback, gets ready to cheerlead Why it’s so great: Before she was Elena Gilbert, Vampire Lover, this high schoooler was just an average teen trying to break up with her BF. Pink’s “So What” captures her youthful exuberance as we got a glimpse of what might have been for Elena. Buy it on iTunes
10. Episode: Season 3, Episode 16 Song: "The Argument" Artist: Aidan Hawken Music moment: Elena and Matt (Zach Roerig talk about the Salvatores; Alaric’s (Matt Davis) comes home Why it’s great: Lest we forget, Matt plays an important role in this show. He’s more than just a human — he’s a human anchor in a supernatural world. Even though they’re discussing vampires, somehow Matt and Elena’s conversation seemed grounded in reality, and “The Argument” by Aidan Hawken helped cement that feeling. Buy it on iTunes
9. Episode: Season 3, Episode 8 Artist: James Vincent McMorrow Song: “We Don’t Eat” Music moment: Rebekah (Claire Holt) cries; Damon and Elena lie in bed and talk Why it’s so great: Yes, we know vampires have feelings, too, but Rebekah had remained stoic until she learned the truth about her mother: Her own brother killed her, and the strain was too much to bear. Meanwhile, Damon and Elena had a heart-to-heart about Stefan as “We Don’t Eat” by James Vincent McMorrow played lightly in the background, the aching song highlighting just how close the two had gotten in the Ripper’s absence. Get James Vincent McMorrow's music on iTunes
8. Episode: Season 3, Episode 10 Song: “Holding On and Letting Go” Artist: Ross Copperman Music moment: Damon compels Jeremy (Steven R. McQueen); Damon and Elena kiss Why it’s great: First, Jeremy got a chance at a normal life, even if the methods (compulsion) were dubious. Then Damon threw caution to the wind and chased the girl of his dreams. Never has a goodnight kiss on a porch had so much meaning. “Holding On and Letting Go” by Ross Copperman swirled around the pair like the cameras, wrapping their first real kiss in perfection. Buy it on iTunes
7. Episode: Season 3, Episode 13 Song: “With Wings” Artist: Amy Stroup Music moment:Caroline (Candice Accola begs her father not to leave her; he tells her, “This is life” Why it’s so great: Bill Forbes was a pretty lousy father, but Caroline’s heartbreak (played beautifully by Candice Accola) made us actually feel feelings when he died. The soundtrack — Amy Stroup’s “With Wings” — was an extra twist of the knife. Buy it on iTunes
6.Episode: Season 3, Episode 7 Song: “This Woman’s Work” Artist: Greg Laswell (covering Maxwell) Music moment: The ghosts disappear Why it was so great: Yes, we always love to see Grams (Jasmine Guy) being a badass witch, but it was Anna’s (Malese Jow) reunion with her mother, Pearl (Kelly Hu), that really broke our hearts. The poor vampire ghost had been alone in the dark for so long, with only Jeremy to randomly kiss when he chose to acknowledge her. Luckily, Greg Laswell’s “This Woman’s Work” covered the sounds of our sobbing. Get it on iTunes
5. Episode: Season 3, Episode 14 Song: “Give Me Love” Artist: Ed Sheeran Music moment: Damon and Elena dance, Stefan and Elena dance, Caroline and Klaus dance Why it’s great: At the Original’s ball, everyone dances with everyone. A more perfect metaphor for the show’s many love triangles than all the partner-switching that went down during “Give Me Love” by Ed Sheeran? Buy it on iTunes
4. Episode: Season 3, Episode 1 Song: "A Drop In The Ocean" Artist: Ron Pope Music moment: Alaric packs up, Tyler and Caroline hook up, Stefan calls Elena Why it’s so great: It was the moment we realized — and Elena did, too — that Stefan wasn’t truly gone. It also became clear just how much of a hold she has over him. Though Elena later tells Damon he’s the one who has to bring his brother back, she was the one who kept Stefan from slipping completely over the edge in the first place. Buy it on iTunes
3. Episode: Season 3, Episode 20 Song: “Be Still” Artist: The Fray Music moment: Alaric says goodbye to Elena and Jeremy Why it’s so great: How many times did we have to lose Alaric in Season 3? This was the first real goodbye, and there were no words. Literally. Everyone stood back and watched as Alaric locked himself in the tomb. “Be Still” by The Fray said it all, anyway. Buy it on iTunes
2. Episode: Season 3, Episode 19 Artist: Florence and the Machine Song: “Never Let Me Go” Music moment:Damon (Ian Somerhalder) takes Elena’s (Nina Dobrev) hand Why it was so great:Delena fans waited 2 years, 7 months, and 3 days for this (at least, according to this YouTube video of the moment, which has over 2 million views). Tension effectively built! Hearts soared and swelled as Elena finally succombed to her feelings for Damon — and at least Stelena lovers got a great song like Florence and the Machine’s “Never Let Me Go” to get them through their worst nightmare. Buy it on iTunes
1. Episode:Season 3, Episode 22 Song: “Dauðalogn” Artist: Sigur Rós Music moment: Matt and Elena are in the car, drowning, at the end of the episode Why it’s so great: For weeks after, we were haunted by the eerie blue water, Stefan’s frantic motions, and Elena’s calm resignation. One by one, we watched as the realization hit everyone that Elena was dead. And of course, Sigur Rós would play over Alaric’s final goodbye. Oh, hell. Now we’re crying all over again. Buy it on iTunes
Need your daily Vampire Diaries fix? Like us on our Facebook page, or follow us on Twitter!