Toby Is “A”: 11 Pretty Little Liars Scenes That Now Seem Totally Different
The knowledge that Toby (Keegan Allen) is part of the "A" team on Pretty Little Liars changes everything. While we don't know how long he's been part of the team, it's possible he's been bad for a very long time.
And that throws a lot of previously innocuous scenes into a totally new light. While obviously everything about Toby can be read differently now, here are the 11 scenes that strike us as particularly changed now that we know Toby might have the worst of intentions.
2. Toby spying on Alison: In Season 1 Toby tells Spencer (Troian Bellisario) he never spied on anyone, and says he isn't really sure why Ali told the girls he was spying on them, beyond her generally being a liar who didn't like him. But could he be the liar in this situation? It's possible Ali was right all along.
3. Jenna's tape: In Season 1 the Liars find a tape that seems to prove Jenna was blackmailing Toby into having a sexual relationship with her. But as we know, tapes can be deceiving. Is this story not quite what it seems?
4. Spoby hotel bonding. Every Spoby shipper remembers the infamous Scrabble game that kicked the ship into high gear in Season 1, Episode 19: "Person of Interest." That bonding moment (as well as the subsequent cuddling) takes place while Spencer and Toby are staking out a hotel room they mistakenly thought Jenna was staying in. Is the whole stakeout orchestrated by the "A" team to give Toby a chance to get closer to Spencer? If their relationship is part of an "A" team plan, this seems very possible.
5. Toby getting a GED: Toby's decision to drop out of school and get a GED instead (which he announces in Season 2, Episode 2: "The Goodbye Look") might have less to do with his dislike of Rosewood High, and more to do with his need for a flexible schedule as part of the "A" team.
6. "A" topples the scaffolding: In Season 2, Episode 12: “Over My Dead Body” Toby takes a tumble when "A" loosens the scaffolding he's standing on. At the time, we thought this was "A" threatening Spencer by hurting Toby, but now we wonder if Toby was in on the plan and knew the fall was coming (which might be how he managed not to hurt himself too badly). Alternatively, is it a sign that Toby was getting out of line, and the "A" team was punishing him?
8.Toby tells the Liars about Jenna's eyedrops: In Season 3, Episode 2: “Blood Is the New Black,” Toby subtly leads Spence to the conclusion that Jenna can see. If he and Jenna are at odds, he may have done this to cast suspicion on his step-sis once again.
9. Toby's anger about Jason: In Season 3, Episode 8: “Stolen Kisses,” Toby is really angry that Jason (Drew Van Acker) is MIA after he and Spencer lied to the cops to help Jason. But is this anger really about something else? Perhaps the "A" team needs to know where Jason went, and Toby is frustrated that he can't figure it out.
10. Toby's disappearances: Toby's disappearances in both Season 2 and Season 3 suddenly seem very ominous. What was he up to?
11. Spencer and Toby have sex: Perhaps saddest of all is the Spoby sex scene in Season 3, Episode 12: “The Lady Killer.” Does Toby really love her despite his "A" team status, or was that just one more way to be cruel to her?
What Toby scenes do you see totally differently now? Let us know in the comments.
Catch the PLL Halloween special on Tuesday, October 23 at 8 p.m. ET/PT onABC Family.
Rebecca Martin is an editor at Wetpaint Entertainment. Follow her on Twitter@BeccaMartin47.