This promo, when combined with the other spoilers we've heard about, gives us a number of clues about what's going to go down in Storybrooke and beyond. Here are the six things that stand out to us the most.
Read spoilers at your own risk! For more on Wetpaint Entertainment's philosophy on spoilers, click here.
Now, look at the screencap from the promo to the right. Lancelot is coming out of a very un-knightly house with a thatched roof, which looks a lot like the houses in that sneak peek. Our theory: Lancelot is living in the "safe haven" where Mulan takes Emma and Snow. We know he has a history with Snow, so he should recognize her. We're thinking he may even be the one who convinces Mulan to help Emma and Snow instead of doubting them.
2. Emma vs. Hook? There's a very brief shot of someone with long blonde hair and Emma's leather jacket holding a knife to what appearsto be Hook. Hook looks to be in Fairytale Land grab. Does that mean Emma and Snow run into him while they're still stuck in Fairytale land? Does he show up in Storybrooke all decked out as a pirate?
3. Ogres: Something that's more clear is that Emma, Snow, Mulan, and Sleeping Beauty run into Ogres at some point in their adventures. Fun! We're guessing that happens in Season 2, Episode 5: “The Doctor,” since in that episode Emma and Mary Margaret reportedly "find a survivor from an Ogre massacre." Hmmm ... could Hook be the survivor?
Video Still (click to enlarge)
4. Snow protects Emma from...? Look at the screencap to the left. It's awesome, right? We love seeing Snow in Mama Bear mode. The question is, who is she protecting Emma from? After the twist at the end of Season 2, Episode 2: “We Are Both,” we're pretty sure it's Cora.
5. Rumple on a boat: We know Season 2, Episode 4: “The Crocodile” will tell the story of how pre-Dark One curse Rumplestiltskin (Robert Carlyle) tried to save his wife from kidnapping by pirates. But here's an interesting thing: In the promo there's a brief shot of a clearly post-Dark One curse Rumple on a boat. Assuming the pirates are the reason his wife left him (voluntarily or not), we're thinking Rumple seeks his revenge on them. Though perhaps not. Maybe he's just making a deal.
Video Still (click to enlarge)
6. Fuel for the Frankenstein theory fire: You know how some people think Dr. Whale (David Anders) might be Dr. Frankenstein? Well, look at the screenshot to the right. It shows two figures (it's a man and a woman who look an awful like young Regina and maybe Jefferson from the back) standing outside of a tent. Inside the tent, someone is standing over a workbench. On top of the tent is a little lightening-rod type thing, which is being struck by lightening. Frankly, it screams "Frankenstein story" to us.
There's also a shot in the promo of young Regina (Lana Parrilla) and two other people descending down some brick stairs. That, plus the info that Whale is going to have major backstory with Regina and Regina's true love Daniel (Noah Bean) will play a role this season has led some fans to come up with the theory that Regina goes to Frankenstein in an attempt to bring Daniel back to life. That might also explain the spoiler about Regina trying to learn "dark arts" in Season 2, Episode 5 (which is the episode where we are supposed to discover Whale's identity). Some speculate that Jefferson brings Frankenstein over from another world, or brings Regina to Frankenstein's world, since Frankenstein is not a fairy tale character.
Bonus observation: Captain Hook is seriously hot. It just needs to be said again.
Watched the preview for yourself below. What clues do you see?
Catch the next new episode of Once Upon a Time on Sunday, October 7 at 8 p.m. ET/PT onABC.
Rebecca Martin is an editor at Wetpaint Entertainment. Follow her on Twitter@BeccaMartin47.