In a candid open letter, the site's founder and CEO, Scott Kluth, announced that the former Jon & Kate Plus 8 and Dancing With the Stars contestant would no longer be a featured blogger.
Why was she fired? Kluth explained, in part, "A series of recent events have made it clear to me that Kate Gosselin and her contributions do not align with the authenticity which we set out to build almost a decade ago, and that Ms. Gosselin is simply not a good fit with the wonderful team and culture at CouponCabin."
It's not clear what the "recent events" might be, but a lot of readers were frustrated with Kate using the space to write about her personal life instead of coupons and money-saving tips. The majority of the 100-plus comments posted within 24 hours of the open letter seemed to be in favor of the CEO's decision.
• "Finally! Her useless tips and self-adulation were annoying and promoted nothing. Sorry you wasted a year of your time and money on this fraud."
• "Thank you for Swiffering that woman's blog from your site. It belongs in a Rubbermaid trash bin. I'll now resume using your website and taking you up on the wonderful deals you offer. It's been awhile since I've done that."
• "Kate wasn't doing anything for your company except using it for her own personal promotion and doing a bad job at that. Thank you Scott for finally seeing the light! Make sure to do a 'cleanse' on your whole office to get rid of the bad energy that was Kate Gosselin."
However, a few readers took issue with the decision, especially the way it was handled in an open letter:
• "Well, the flip side is that more than a few found your site because of Kate and we won't be back. Same for Twitter and that app of yours I will be taking off my phone. Whatever happened between you and Kate, you could have handled this in a much more business like and classier fashion."
• "...Do you think CC picked Kate for any reason other than her celebrity???? Pot meet Kettle. They used her to promote their site the past week all over tv and then dumped her. Now this classless letter. Immature and unprofessional CC!!"
If some fans were visiting the site specifically for Kate's blog, then maybe she can take it to another outlet — perhaps one that isn't supposed to be focused on coupons!