5. Juliette rehearses “Boys and Buses” Juliette’s (Hayden Panettiere) manager, Glenn, doesn’t seem blown away by this rendition of the song, as he’s seen checking his phone while Juliette sings. But we love hearing her voice — and it was cute to see her fiance Sean adorably waiting in the wings. Plus, it’s good that we all appreciate this cute Sean-Juliette moment while we can, since we’re not likely to get many more, now that she’s left him at the altar!
4. Avery’s “Kiss,” as produced by Dominic Dominic’s new mix of this tune is clearly on the overproduced side of things, but we still think the heavy bass and electronic sounds are kinda cool. Then again, Avery’s (Jonathan Jackson) voice isn’t exactly front and center, so that probably explains why he isn’t in love with it.
3. Rayna sings “Wrong Song” in the studio Uh-oh, Juliette! Looks like Rayna (Connie Britton) doesn’t need the ingenue to help her belt out the duo’s signature song. And while we love this number as a duet, Rayna’s voice is so amazing — and the song itself is so catchy — that one voice appears to suffice.
2. Scarlett and Avery’s band perform “Twist of Barbwire” Don’t get us wrong — we still love Avery’s previous take on this feisty tune. But we may love Scarlett’s (Clare Bowen) cover even more, as she manages to make the song more sexy than angry. And though we probaby prefer hearing Scarlett’s voice in a softer, more introspective setting — as she typically does at the Bluebird — this dynamic club performance with J.T. and the boys proves she can do it all!
1. Gunnar and Scarlett sing “Change Your Mind” We don’t know how these two manage to blow our “mind” nearly every week with another flawless duet (those harmonies!), but we’re not going to complain about it. In fact, the only thing we will complain about is that we didn’t get another kiss from them. But since they’re just now agreeing to perform together again, we suppose we’ll be satisfied with baby steps.