10 Burning Questions From Pretty Little Liars Season 3, Episode 16: “Misery Loves Company”
We love all ofPretty Little Liars’ constant thrills and surprises, but at the end of every episode, it always seems as though we have more questions than answers. To that end, we’ve tackled the 10 biggest questions from this week’s episode in order to figure out what’s really going on in Rosewood and to pick up on any and all clues. Here are 10 questions from Season 3, Episode 16: “Misery Loves Company.”
1. Who does Mona mean when she says “she” calls the shots? It’s always seemed as though the “A” leader might be a female, but we got a pretty big hint about this being the case when Mona (Janel Parrish) says “she” calls the shots. And we’ve long suspected that Ali is running the “A” team — so does this solidify our hunch? We love it when our hunches get solidified, people.
2. Did Mona want Toby to get caught? The only thing we know for sure about Mona is that you can’t trust her — and does that mean her teammates can’t trust her, either? We’re wondering if Mona might have been the one to get Toby exposed, since we see her relishing the fact that Spencer (Troian Bellisario) is locked outside his apartment in the final scene. Perhaps it was Mona who left Toby’s Radley I.D. card lying around?
3. Who is the blonde woman in the red coat? Hanna's (Ashley Benson) day is bad enough when she gets attacked by those mannequins in the boutique (embarrassing, much?). But even more notable is the blonde person in a red coat whom Hanna sees watching her just before she enters the store. Vivian, is that you?
4. Why on earth does Ali say she “picked” Aria? Don’t you hate rhetorical questions? Okay, so we suppose that was a rhetorical question (oops!), but it’s also bugging us that Alison (Sasha Pieterse) asked Aria (Lucy Hale) if she knew why she picked her. But then Ali doesn’t answer her own question — or even explain what the heck Aria was being “picked” for. No, Ali — she doesn’t know why you picked her. So freakin’ tell her why already!
5. Why does Ali bring up Ezra’s mom? Aria asks Ali about her dad, and Ali refers to a time when “the chips were down with Ezra’s [Ian Harding] mom.” We assume Ali is referring to when Byron comforted Aria after Ezra’s mom wanted to pay her to dump Ezra earlier this season — but how does Ali know about this? And does Ali bringing this up mean that (dun dun dun) Ezra is connected to the “A” team?
6. Is Ali involved with the N.A.T. Club? Ali tells Aria, “I see everything now.” This sounds an awful lot like the N.A.T. Club motto, “We see all,” dontcha think? So could Ali have had something to do with that club — especially since we know Ian was supposedly recording those videos for a friend? Or perhaps “seeing everything” is a hint that Ali is alive and currently on the “A” team.
7. Does Ali’s hair and her comment about seeing “A” mean she’s on the “A” team? Two more clues that Ali is “A”! When Aria asks if she sees “A,” Ali says she sees her everywhere she turns, which sounds a bit like Ali is confessing to being “A.” Also, we see Ali twice in the episode, but her hair is slightly different both times — it’s straighter when she’s talking to Byron, pre-death, and has more curl in Aria’s room, post-death. Is this a sign that one is Ali and one is her twin? A hairdo has never been more scrutinized.
8. Why did Ali need Byron’s money — and why did she want Aria’s doll, since Ali left the pages in there? Ali tells Aria she was desperate for the money that she was blackmailing Byron (Chad Lowe) for, so we’re curious as to why exactly she needed this money so badly. We know Ali loves to shop, but we’re not sure that a carefree shopping spree is a valid rationale for blackmail. And what exactly was Ali so eager to snag from Aria’s doll — since we know that the pages were still in there later in the episode?
9. Why did Byron smile when he saw Melissa — and what was Melissa talking about on the phone? We’d like to think that this week’s episode solidified Byron as a friendly, dependable dad, but we’re not so sure. Why did Byron smirk when he saw Melissa come out of the house during the flashback to the night Ali died? It made us wonder if he was part of some plan to kill Ali with other people. Let’s face it: Byron isn’t the kind of guy who smiles just for the heck of it.
10. Does Ali’s visit officially mean Aria isn’t “A”? There have been plenty of “Aria is ‘A’” theories recently, in part because Aria was the only Liar to not yet get a visit from Ali. Well, now that Ali has in fact paid Aria a house call, it appears Aria is no longer a strong candidate for the “A” team. Plus, we can’t imagine she would have faked being in a crate and almost getting pushed to her death.
Catch the next episode of Pretty Little Liars on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on ABC Family.