Pretty Little Liars Season 3: Top 5 Signs Spencer Is Losing It
If the general devolution of Spencer’s (Troian Bellisario) hair and makeup routine hasn’t clued you in, Spencer has exhibited some other serious cries for help since she found out boyfriend Toby (Keegan Allen) was working for the “A” team on Pretty Little Liars. Unfortunately, the only person she seems to be semi-confiding in is her new BFF, the private detective.
It has taken Aria (Lucy Hale), Emily (Shay Mitchell), and Hanna (Ashley Benson) two whole episodes to notice something is seriously up with their best friend (Aria finally started to voice some concern at the end of Season 3, Episode 18: “Dead to Me”), but to be fair, the girls have their own problems to worry about. To give them a little help, we’ve put together a list of the top five signs Spencer is about to go off the deep end.
1. Her best friend is now a private detective. We have to admit that Spencer needs someone to talk to and we’re glad she found it somewhere, but opening up to the guy you’re paying to follow your ex-boyfriend/stalker might not be the best choice. Piece of advice, Spencer: When the person you’re confiding in is also trying to extort more money out of you, there might be a conflict of interest.
2. She blew off school. Everyone has bad days, but when Spencer is not only willingly but enthusiastically storming out in the middle of class, you know there’s something wrong. This is the girl who spends a majority of her free time outside of school studying. And from the look of this sneak peek, truancy is becoming a habit.
3. She’s sabotaging her relationship with Jason (Drew Van Acker). Spencer has gone out of her way again and again to forge a relationship with Jason since the revelation that he is her half-brother. In last night’s episode, she was doing quite the opposite. We have to admit we liked Spencer’s quip, “You don’t want to have this fight with me, Jason. Not now. I’ll win and neither of us will feel good about it,” but we can’t imagine she felt good about that comment either.
4. She spilled the beans about Ali’s pregnancy. Spencer is usually the girl with the plan. She doesn’t like to do anything without one. So, when she carelessly announced to Jason that Ali had been pregnant and Detective Wilden was the father without so much as an explanation, we knew we had reason to worry. Luckily, the rest of the girls started to clue in, as well.
5. She keyed a mausoleum. Spencer is more than justified to be absolutely furious with Toby, but carving his name into the marble of his dead mother’s tomb seems like something she’s going to regret later. Having said that, it did seem like, with that action, she moved past “denial” onto the next stage of grief: anger.
And that was all just in this week’s episode. How do you think Spence is going to break down next? That decathalon trophy is not looking as in-the-bag as it did a few weeks ago. And, judging by next week’s promo, Spencer is not as patient as she once was with Mona’s taunting (and, let’s be honest, she was never very patient). Sound off in the comments below!
Catch the next episode of Pretty Little Liars on Tuesday, February 12, 2013 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on ABC Family.