Nashville’s Top 5 Music Moments From the Season 1 Premiere
Nashville packed so many amazing song performances into the premiere that it washard to keep track of them all. And while we love each and every one, life is all about choices, so here are our top 5 music moments from Season 1, Episode 1. (Psst! You can buy them all here!)
5. Juliette sings “Love Like Mine” at the Grand Ole Opry and on the car radio This is a high-energy, screw-you type of break-up anthem, and we loved watching Juliette (Hayden Panettiere) nail it on stage in front of her screaming (and possibly obsessed) fans who know every word. But this song mainly made this list because it was hilarious to see Rayna’s (Connie Britton) kids belting it out in the backseat of their car later, much to their mom’s chagrin. It looks like Rayna’s kids need to start toeing the party line — and fast.
4. Rayna sings “Already Gone” at the Grand Ole Opry It was kind of a toss-up between the two songs of Rayna’s that we heard — this one and “It’s My Life,” when she had her diva moment — as both featured knock-out performances. Still, we couldn’t help but give to edge to “Already Gone,” since it’s an ode to Tennessee and it appears to be Rayna’s trademark hit. Plus, we’re trying to pretend that Rayna’s headset-smashing meltdown never happened. (Although, who isn’t entitled to an occasional meltdown, right?)
3. Juliette sings “Boys and Buses” in the recording studio This scene was kinda painful to watch, with Randy practically drooling on the soundboard as Juliette performed and her manager brutally critiquing her vocals. But Juliette looked confident while performing it, and we loved the song itself, which we could totally see on the real-life pop charts. Another way that boys are like buses? They both tend to smell kinda funny.
2. Deacon sings “Back Home” at the Bluebird Cafe A song has to be quite powerful to make an ice queen like Juliette cry, and we’re not about to argue with her taste in songs. (No, seriously — we’d never argue with her. She scares us.) We love Deacon’s (Charles Esten) voice on this one, and now that we know it’s about Rayna, it’s extra cute to hear him sing, “All that I have to do is think one little thought of you, and I’m back home.” If all of Deacon’s songs are this good, Rayna needs to start letting him write for her, like, now!
1. Gunnar and Scarlett sing “If I Didn’t Know Better” This was the most heartfelt number of the night — and don’t get us started on those amazing harmonies! These two will be interesting to watch, since Gunnar (Sam Palladio) has been throwing himself at Scarlett (Clare Bowen), while she seems to be kinda blah about him. However, after a duet like this, how can the sparks not start flying? (Bonus points for the shocking montage that plays over this song, with Juliette on Deacon’s lap. This girl does not waste time!)