Read on for more details about what we know about Neal!
1. He Is The Only Person With Whom Rumple Has Broken A Deal Bae made a deal with Rumple that, if he found a way for his father to safely give up magic, then he would. Bae used the last magic bean in the Enchanted Forest to open a portal to our world and went through it, but his father chose not to follow, breaking their deal. Bae’s final action before falling through the portal was to call his father a coward. Ouch.
2. His Mother Abandoned Him When He Was Young We’ve known since the first season that Bae was primarily raised by his father because his mother died when he was young. It turns out there is more to the story. In Season 2, Episode 4: “The Crocodile,” we find out that Milah fell in love and ran away with Hook (Colin O’Donoghue), leaving Rumple to raise their son on his own. This understandably seemed to create a strong bond between father and son.
3. Rumple Killed His Mother Rumple catches back up with the pirating duo after Bae has gone through the portal...and crushes Milah’s heart. We’re not sure how that explanatory chat between Rumple and Bae is going to go, but it’s probably going to be pretty awkward. It should also be interesting to see Bae’s dynamic with Hook. If Bae is the thirty-something we imagine, we can add the incredibly strange age difference (or lack thereof) of their quasi-stepdad/stepson relationship to the list of awkward age differences on this show (i.e. Snow and Charming being basically the same age as their daughter).
4. Rumple Created The Curse For Him Even though Rumple hasn’t seen his son for many, many years, finding his son remains his primary motivation (though, Belle factors in now, too). Rumple became the Dark One so that he could protect Bae. After Bae went through the portal, he manipulated Regina (Lana Parrilla) into casting the spell that brought the Enchanted Forest residents to Storybrooke just so he could find his son.
5. He’s Not A Fan Of Magic Bae watched magic turn his peace-loving father into a scaly-skinned mass murderer who killed their mute maid when she saw the blade of the Dark One. “Even mutes can draw a picture,” Rumple explained to his son...Bae did not agree with this reasoning. More than anything, Bae wanted to rid his father of his powers and was willing to live his life out in the “Land Without Magic” if it meant saving his father. It will be interesting to see how Bae responds to his father, who still has magic within Storybrooke, and Emma (Jennifer Morrison), who is just starting to learn about her powers.
Post any other important details about Baelfire in the comment section below!