Pretty Little Liars Season 3: Is Spencer the New Mona?
The first half of Pretty Little LiarsSeason 3 saw Mona (Janel Parrish) holed up in Radley Sanitarium, spouting more riddles than sense when she wasn’t busy playing catatonic. Spencer (Troian Bellisario), on the other hand, was Miss In-Control. It was Spence who took charge of the situation when the girls realized they were being framed for digging up Ali’s body, ferrying them off to her lake house to create an alibi. The season is now entering its home stretch and we couldn’t help but notice that the two characters have switched places. This is slightly more distressing when it comes to our beloved brainiac.
Here are five reasons we fear Spencer might just be the new Mona:
1. She’sRadley-bound. Last time we saw her, Spence was practicing her own version of “catatonic” inside of Radley. It was Ali’s brand of psychological terrorism, perhaps, that turned Mona into a monster. Spence’s life has taken the same path. Though she was never picked on as an outcast like Mona, it was “A”’s emotional warfare that brought Spence down.
2. She’s ditched her friends. We hate to say it, but Spencer has been exhibiting some serious friend-shafting behavior. She was eventually threatened into keeping the truth from the other Liars, but Spencer’s been operating solo for most of the time since the discovery of Toby’s betrAyal. She may not have the same
3. She’s got the skills. Mona must have seen something Team “A”-like in Spencer to offer her membership. It could have just been a last-ditch ploy to escape, but we don’t think so. We think Mona genuinely admires Spencer’s plotting ability. The two share an ability to see the larger picture and manipulate if need be. The difference is: up until now, Spencer has used her powers for good.
4. Janel thinks so. The actress had this to tell the Hollywood Reporter about Mona and Spencer: “What's interesting for me is how Mona and Spencer have now completely switched characters. Mona is almost like the new Spencer now. She's in charge, she's cool as a cucumber and, nothing seems to faze her.” We remember when that used to be Spencer’s M.O. How the times have changed. Or have they?...
5. Mona had a plan, and we think Spence might, too. Even though Mona seemed a bit out of it while she was in Radley, we viewers know that she was still pulling the strings. As much as we admit Spencer would be totally justified in taking a mental break, we wonder if her stay in Radley is more than just that. Spencer hasn’t been herself lately, but we can’t believe she has changed so much that she has stopped looking for answers. Seeking justice is such a big part of who she is, and we’re hoping a stay in Radley is part of one of Spence’s brainiac plans.
Do you think Spencer is the new Mona? Let us know in the comments below!
Catch the next episode of Pretty Little Liars on Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on ABC Family.