1. She’s good at it. There’s a reason “A” tried to get Spencer on her team: she was making the “A” team’s job way harder. She is clever, determined, and thinks fast on her feet, and Spencer has been the Liar leading the way in the hunt for “A” for most of the series. The only one who has outsmarted her has been “A” herself. Even Ali thinks so. Before she died, she told Spencer she was writing her journals for her so that she could “carry on” once she was gone. We’re guessing that Ali knew Spencer would be able to figure out what was going to happen to her. When Aria sees Ali in her drug/flu-induced state, Ali tells Aria that she’s surprised Spencer hasn’t figured it all out yet. So are we!
2. She can hang out with Toby. Spencer loves Toby (Keegan Allen). That’s just a fact. She’s had a hard time coming to grips with his betrAyal, so maybe it would be easier if they were on the same side. Then, she could finally ask him the questions that have been eating her up since she first discovered his “A” Team allegiance and he disappeared without so much as a “sorry ‘bout that.” If Spencer and Toby were on the same side again, maybe these two crazy kids could lose the secrets and make it work!
3. She would be safer. Now, you’re not exactly safe as houses when you sign up for “A” team membership, but you have better chances than when you are one of the Liars. Hanna (Ashley Benson) has been hit by a car; Emily almost plummeted to her death in a rogue elevator only a few weeks ago; Aria (Lucy Hale) was very nearly pushed out of a moving train on Halloween; and, most recently, Spencer was left to stew in her very own steam room. Being a part of the “A” team isn’t without peril, but it’s still a heck of a lot safer than being one of the “A” team’s targets.
4. She already has an offer. Do you know how hard it is to find a job offer in this market? We’re not really sure what the “A” team benefits package looks like, but since Mona (Janel Parrish) tried to actively recruit Spence in the Season 2 finale, we think she might be able to negotiate at least a few weeks of vacation per year. Joining the “A” team would finally give her the answers she’s been looking for, and the control she so desperately craves.
5. It would make for awesome television. Our last reason is purely selfish. We think one of the Liars joining the “A” team would make for riveting television. Whether it was as a double agent feeding information back to the other Liars or completely genuinely, we think the storyline is rife with dramatic potential. From the very beginning of the series, the Little Liars have been more or less inseparable. We wonder what the show would look like if they were betrayed by one of their own...