As we predicted, Devin Velez went home on last night’s American Idol results show. Now that it’s down to 7 lucky (or unlucky based on next week’s theme!) singers, it’s time for our weekly power rankings! Here is how we see the remaining hopefuls based on their performances up until now:
7. Lazaro Arbos: It’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s Lazaro, the professional escapee of Idol departures! Despite weeks of fairly abysmal performances and forgetting the lyrics to his group number, the Cuban-born singer has managed to avoid going home, but we don’t think he’s got any more tricks in his bag.
6. Amber Holcomb: We hate to put her so far up the list, as she has been amazing and probably the most consistent of all the singers, but for some reason her singing doesn’t translate to votes and online followers. Unless someone launches a campaign to get those numbers up and fast, she may be in danger in the next couple of weeks.
5. Janelle Arthur: Janelle had an interesting week this past week, as she was given the insult of a lifetime by being compared to Kree during their duet (Nicki Minaj said it was like Kree flew in to sing with an Idol contestant), but then she stunned everyone with her acoustic performance of “You Keep Me Hangin’ On”. We think she’ll keep us hanging on, but only for a few more weeks.
4. Burnell Taylor: This Louisiana native has been the only one to truly represent for the guys, and he’s been majorly consistent with his performances. When it comes down to it, though, we believe the hype about this being a girl’s season to lose.
3. Angie Miller: We originally had this gorgeous singer winning it all, but she’s had a few missteps recently. First of all, Jimmy Iovine said she emotes too much when she performs. Second of all, her rendition of “Shop Around” this week made us squirm in our seats. That song definitely wasn’t in her wheelhouse. We hope she gets back to the piano and, if she does, she could make the finals. For now, though, we have her at #3.
2. Candice Glover: This girl has steadily moved up the ranks in our eyes, as she has yet to make any major mistakes. Most of these singers struggle when they do up tempo numbers, but Candice proved she could rock it out with an amazing rendition of “Come Together” for Beatles week. That will work in her favor this week, as the theme is Classic Rock–No Ballads.
1. Kree Harrison: We’re still sticking by our girl, Kree, to win it all. She’s killed it each week, and the American Idol judges absolutely love her. While it’s up to us to vote, everyone knows their critiques weigh heavily on viewers’ decisions. Kree has shown amazing versatility as a singer, and we think she’ll take on any theme they give her in style.
What would your American Idol power rankings be for the Season 12 Top 7?