Twisted on ABC Family: 5 Things to Know About Avan Jogia’s New Show
We got a glimpse of ABC Family's new series Twisted after thePretty Little Liars Season 3 finale— and we have to admit: we loved it. It combines the murder mystery aspect of PLL— where everyone has a secret — with the complicated high school social dynamics of My So-Called Life. And like PLL, a teenage girl's deadth is at the center of all the drama! Can we trust Danny Desai, whose troubled past forced him and his two former best friends into a life of therapy and hallway stares? Only time will tell.
Here’s five things to know about the upcoming series,another one-hour mystery full of twists and turns.
1. The show is centered on mysterious 16-year old Danny Desai. It seems like Danny had a dark and mysterious past, leading him to murder his aunt at only 11 years old! Years later, he’s returned home after being released from custody, but things are about to get even scarier.
2. Danny’s two best female friends are just as complicated, and one was involved in the murder of Danny’s aunt. When Danny gets home, he reunites and reconnects with his childhood best friends, Jo and Lacey, and the two girls have a complicated relationship of their own. Jo (Maddie Hasson) is an offbeat, tough yet vulnerable girl who became a social outcast after discovering the body of Danny’s slain aunt. Lacey (Kylie Bunbury), former tomboy and once Jo and Danny’s best friend, found popularity that eluded Jo after ditching the two. Ouch!
3. Danny is the prime suspect of a recent, shocking murder. As if finally getting released from jail for being locked up for murdering his aunt weren’t enough, Danny gets hit with yet another murder allegation after reuniting with his former girl friends. When a dead student is found in one of the girl’s homes, Danny becomes the prime murder suspect. Yikes!
4. After the Sandy Hook tragedy, there was concern ABC Family might not pick up the show. It’s easy to understand why after the horrific Sandy Hook tragedy in late 2012, the media speculated as to whether ABC Family would pick up such a dark show involving murder and tragedy. The network ultimately picked up the new drama, but renamed it Twisted from the former title Socio, as they claimed the new title was more fitting for a murder mystery format, though we can’t help but wonder if there was any pressure to give the show a less gruesome name.
5. Like Pretty Little Liars, many of the answers to the mystery will be shrouded in doubt. Jo’s mother, Tess (Kimberly Quinn), tries to give Danny the benefit of the doubt, but Jo's dad, who also happens to be the town sheriff, Kyle (Sam Robards) believes Danny to be the killer. Denise Richards plays Danny’s mother Karen Desai, who once ruled the town’s social scene and must put on a brave face with the return of her son. Sounds juicy, and we’re dying to know what really happened with Danny’s aunt and why he may have killed her! That is, if he actually killed her at all!
Avan Jogia is a handsome Canadian actor best known for playing Oliver Beck on the hit Nickelodeon show Victorious. We can’t wait to see him in a more dramatic role, as his new show sounds like it could be just as fun, scary, and awesome as Pretty Little Liars!
And while it can never truly replace our beloved PLL, Twisted may be just the fix we need until the Season 4 premiere. Who knows, maybe it’ll be our newest guilty pleasure! Twisted premieres after the PLL Season 4 premiere on June 11, 2013, at 9 p.m. ET on ABC Family.
Are you excited for Avan’s new show? Sound off below!