5 Things to Know About DWTS Pro Val Chmerkovskiy
Val Chmerkovskiy is a relatively new Dancing With the Stars pro, but he's already made a huge impact. He made it to the finals on All Stars, and he and Zendaya are frontrunners on Season 16. But how well do you really know this dancer?
Uber fans may already know every fact there is to know about Val, but for those of you without an encyclopaedic knowledge of the pros, we've got the deets about him right here.
1. He's from the Ukraine. Val was born in Odessa, Ukraine. His parents immigrated to the US to give Val and his brother, fellow DWTS pro Maksim Chmerkovskiy, better opportunities.
2. He started dancing at the age of 7. Impressively, he attended his first overseas competition at the age of 12.
3. He grew up in a mixed religion household. As Maks explained on Twitter, their mother is Christian, their father is Jewish.
4. He's been the US Champ ... a lot. Val has won the US Championship in his events a staggering 14 times. He was also the first, and currently only, American to win the IDSF World Championship.
5. He's a dedicated musician. Dance isn't the only art Val loves. He plays the violin at a very high level, and is pursuing a rap career.
Dancing With the Stars airs Mondays and Tuesdays on ABC.
Catch the next episode of Dancing With the Stars on Monday, April 29, 2013 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on ABC.
Rebecca Martin is an editor at Wetpaint Entertainment. Follow her on Twitter @BeccaDMartin.