Dancing With the Stars 2013 Recap: Season 16, Week 7 — Latin Lovers and Haters
Ay Dios mio, this was a wacky one!
Dancing With the StarsSeason 16, Week 7 gave us Latin Night, with some great highs and low lows. And then there was the Dance Off Challenge, which still makes our brains hurt a little and our hearts hurt a lot for Andy Dick, who is now sitting way down at the bottom of the judges's leaderboard with a score of 17.
Aly & Mark (who was injured in rehearsals) are now enjoying a score of 32, thanks to the Dance Off, and that put them above Kellie & Derek, who had the highest individual score. So it’s almost like it hurt Kellie & Derek to be immune from the Dance Off (and elimination), since it put them below both Aly & Mark and Zendaya & Val in terms of overall points. Yeah, it’s a little strange, but at least it gave us more dancing, including a fantastic Jive face-off between Zendaya and Jacoby.
Do you think this could mean the end for Andy, or will his low score send him sympathy votes and instead send home Bachelor Sean, who did a decent Rumba but … meh. It’s hard to get worked up about Sean on DWTS, you know? You could argue he’s a better dancer than Andy, but is he more fun to watch? This is an entertainment show and for our money, Andy is more entertaining. But we’ll see what happens tomorrow night. Do you think the extra Dance Off points will have “saved” a couple or were they just a fun/weird/other new gimmick?
LEADERBOARD Here’s a quick rundown of where the couples stand after Week 7, including three extra Dance Off points, where applicable.
1.Jacoby Jones &Karina Smirnoff— Salsa to "Danza Kuduro" by Don Omar — He needed a day of massaging and ice this week, so everyone really seems to be feeling it. They can have lifts in this dance. The first lift was a little awkward, but his footwork looked pretty good and they had a really funky jump move toward the end. She put his muscles to work!
JUDGES: Len Goodman didn’t know if there was an earthquake or if he rocked the place. He would’ve liked a few less lifts. Jacoby’s mom stood up and shouted at Len. She has her eyes on him. Fight! It was fabulous, but he thought the lifts detracted a little bit because he’s so good with his moves. Bruno Tonioli said the fiesta has begun. He stood up and did his own hip shaking. Karina spent more time flying around than Iron Man! Carrie Ann Inaba said Jacoby could fart the Salsa it’s so in his body. (?!) The Salsa needs flavor more than technique and he had the flavor. Jacoby’s grandmother told him if he kept his farts in he’d die. His family is something else.
SCORES: 9, 9, 9 = 27
Vote for Jacoby & Karina: 1-800-868-3412
2.Ingo Rademacher &Kym Johnson — Rumba to "Maria Maria" by Santana — He used his status as the “white knight” of General Hospital to help him in the Rumba. He’s used to fake romance on TV. Kym looks amazing again. He does OK, but it’s hard to not just watch her.
JUDGES: They say hips don’t lie, Bruno said, but in Ingo’s case, he wishes they could. Ingo’s hips were too staccato. The intention was good but the hips need work. Carrie Ann said his form was really nice and he focused on his pictures, but he missed the fluidity, and he lost the sensuality and connection. Len said it’s like the Lakers, he gave it his best shot but he didn’t quite deliver in the end. But there was a lot of content and his lines were good. It lacked a bit of musicality and it was a tad mean in the hips but it’s a really difficult dance. it was good but not great.
SCORES: 7, 8, 7 = 22 out of 30
Vote for Ingo & Kym: 1-800-868-3403
3. Kellie Pickler &Derek Hough — Samba to “Shake Your Bon-Bon” by Ricky Martin — This week was their toughest week ‘cause she had to rehearse around three concerts. But Derek didn’t want to dumb down the content; he was aiming for them to get immunity. They always pull it together in the end! SHIRTLESS DEREK ALERT! She definitely shakes her bon bon! It’s not perfect, but pretty close. Definitely not dancing zombies.
JUDGES: Carrie Ann said when she watches Kellie dance all she sees is perfection in all of her moves. She’s an incredible student, but she doesn’t feel Kellie when she dances. She’s concentrating so hard — but she lacks an emotional connection. Kellie appreciated the constructive criticism. It’s a good note, and better to get feedback than just cutesy quotes about shaking Bruno’s bon-bon. Len said it was a mix of booty, bounce and bongos. It was crisp, clean, hot and spicy. Len thought she got the how of the technique and the wow of the performance. Kellie shook Bruno’s bon-bons and everyone else’s. Bruno thought it was a perfect balance of technique and performance. The content was out of this world.
SCORES: 9, 10, 10 = 29 out of 30. Derek apologized to his grandparents for going shirtless. They should be proud!
Vote for Kellie & Derek: 1-800-868-3401 (1-800-VOTE4-01)
4. Andy Dick &Sharna Burgess— Rumba — Andy said he and Sharna are in the pack of coyotes hanging on by a thread. Sharna is doing such a great job with him. Who else could’ve gotten him this far, from therapy to dance training to the right touch of humor? Weird face-rubbing-leg move alert! He’s definitely not moving enough in this dance. He’s too static and not fluid enough, but they have such personality and tell such fun stories as they dance. How can you not love them?
JUDGES: Len said he liked the fun and entertainment value and Andy’s enthusiasm. But as far as the Rumba goes, it was more erratic than erotic. There wasn’t enough hip action or musicality. It needed more movement through the body and arms. The audience booed, but that’s fair criticism. Not every dance is perfect, audience! Bruno, on the other hand, was harsh. He said Andy took an unforgettable classic dance and now he wishes he could forget it. OK, that’s the difference between a fair comment — Len’s — and an unnecessary one. Then Bruno added some relevant criticism — Andy’s doing steps but they don’t flow through the body in a continuous motion. Carrie Ann said Andy touches us but he needs to not forget about his arms. They can get spazzy. Another good note.
SCORES: 5, 6, 6 = 17 out of 30. OUCH!
Vote for Andy & Sharna: 1-800-868-3411
5. Alexandra Raisman &Mark Ballas — Salsa — Mark hurt his neck during practice. The doctor said he may have a sprained back or he may have injured one of his lower discs. Aly rehearsed part of the time with Henry Byalikov. You would never know that Mark was injured, he looks fine on the dance floor and the dance is killer! Talk about a fun routine. Tons of shaking, tons of content, and she really went for it! You can’t say she’s a shrinking violet out there.
JUDGES: Bruno said it was the spice of his life. It was an uplifting, tutti frutti delicious cocktail of tropical flavors. “What is in there? More of those please.” Carrie Ann said “I love it.” She nailed it. Everyone in the room was dancing. Poor Len was in the middle of two crazy shakers! Len said it was like a tequila sunrise - sharp and fruity, tasty and refreshing. He would’ve liked more recognizable Salsa, a few more passes. As far as the exuberance and the way she attacked it, he couldn’t ask for more. Come on, Len! If they tie, how does that affect the Dance Off thing?
SCORES: 10, 9, 10 = 29 out of 30. Should’ve had a perfect score.
Vote for Aly & Mark: 1-800-868-3408
6. Sean Lowe &Peta Murgatroyd — Rumba to "Hero" by Enrique Iglesias — Catherine came in to help Sean get in the spirit of the Rumba, since he has romantic feelings for Catherine and not for Peta. Better idea — bring in TRISTAN, since their bromance is what Sean should be channeling. You know he’s really thinking of Tristan when he dances with Peta. The smoke machine is back. One of his better dances, and a better Rumba than the others tonight.
JUDGES: Carrie Ann said “Well, well, well, Sean, who’s the hero now?” He listened to their comments from last week. He listened to the music. He had this seductive look and their chemistry was passionate. But they had a lift where Peta almost took off through the roof. Len said it was like a match — Peta was hot and Sean was wooden. His hands kept flapping away. (Actually, his hands looked better this week.) Len got insulted by a booing woman and stopped speaking. Way to go, booing lady! Bruno thought his extensions were better than ever (yes) but his bum stuck out sometimes like he was going to the toilet. More potty humor!
SCORES: 8, 8, 8 = 24 out of 30.
Vote for Sean & Peta: 1-800-868-3407
7.Zendaya Coleman &Valentin Chmerkovskiy— Paso Doble — Paso Doble is about power and intensity and those are two things Val does best. Zendaya said Val is intense all the time and probably even eats breakfast intensely. That’s part of his sex appeal! He should do sexy morning-after breakfast commercials. She starts the dance with her own little solo at the opposite end of the floor from Val. Fast, intense, as amazing as ever! This is going to get the 30 that saves the judges from having to chose between Aly and Kellie, isn’t it. (Guess not!)
JUDGES: Len said Val was powerful as a matador, Zendaya was fluid and flowing. That dance had attack and aggression. She didn’t lift her chin enough. Bruno said she looks like an angel and dances like a fury. Because the style is so defined, she did need to have her chin up and long lines. Carrie Ann said her lines are gorgeous and it was beautifully portrayed. But a depth of strength was missing, it was like a song without the bassline. But no one can compete with her lines.
SCORES: 9, 9, 9 = 27 out of 30
Vote for Zendaya & Val: 1-800-868-3406
DANCE OFF CHALLENGE
Since Aly and Kellie were tied this week, the tie-breaker went to the couple with the highest cumulative score. (?) That was Kellie & Derek. So people don’t need to vote for Kellie & Derek, but some people probably will anyway. This feels so random. They all had to learn four dances this week, in case they had to do one of them for the Dance Off.
1. Aly & Mark vs. Andy & Sharna, Cha-Cha-Cha — Ay & Mark got to pick which couple they wanted to dance against. They picked Andy & Sharna. Andy & Sharna chose to dance Cha-Cha.
JUDGES: Len admired Andy’s pluck. He cheered for Aly, his enthusiasm is fantastic. Bruno said obviously someone was technically stronger but they were fantastic. Carrie Ann loves Andy for never giving up despite getting off on the wrong foot.
SCORES: 3 points go to Aly & Mark. Could’ve called this one before it started.
2. Zendaya & Val vs. Jacoby & Karina, Jive — Zendaya & Val got to pick next. They picked Jacoby & Karina, which Val said was picking on “someone our own size.” Yikes. No offense, Sean and Ingo! Then again, Zendaya and Val probably don’t even need the extra points. She has a bazillion Twitter followers voting for her. This IS a good match, especially since Jacoby got to pick the dance and Jive is his strength. LOVE the double splits between Val and Jacoby!
JUDGES: Bruno said it was like watching two champions. Jacoby was a powerhouse out there. Zendaya was so slick and precise. Carrie Ann applauded Val and Zendaya for picking Jacoby. Len said it was so exciting because one is full of fun, the other neat, clean, crisp. (She’s fun too!) Karina wanted them to split the points. Why not?
SCORES: 3 points go to Zendaya & Val. Val said they were going to pick Kellie & Derek but they were safe. So Jacoby was the best of the available options. Backhanded compliments all over the place!
3. Sean & Peta vs. Ingo & Kym, Rumba — Since Sean just did a better Rumba, they are more likely to win this round. But it’s kind of an anticlimactic end, since these two couples are arguably the least exciting of the pack. Sorry!
JUDGES: Carrie Ann said Ingo showed nice improvement. Sean had another strong performance. Len said this is the hardest for him since he gave them both the same score. Having seen them side by side now there is a very clear winner. Bruno said it was the battle of the hunks.
SCORES: 3 points to Ingo & Kym. Wow, Len and Carrie Ann went for Ingo & Kym! They really showed the improvement. Bruno went for Sean & Peta.
What did you think of the Week 7 dances and scores? Don’t forget to also vote for your favorite couple here at www.ABC.com.