Happy Birthday, Matt Davis: 5 Reasons We Miss You on Vampire Diaries
It was a devastating day on The Vampire Diaries when Alaric (Matt Davis) died. Then he came back as an evil vampire and died all over again. Sigh. Today, May 8, is Matt Davis’s birthday, which is why we’re wishing him a happy 35th birthday by telling him just how much we miss him on TVD.
5. No one eats Chunky Monkey anymore. Seriously. Aunt Jenna (Sara Canning) and Alaric could scarf down ice cream like no one’s business. Now that almost everyone’s a vampire, we never see anyone eat normal food.
4. We’ve lost all faith in the Mystic Falls school system. Matt (Zach Roerig) is failing his senior year. If Alaric were there, he could have prevented the quarterback from falling so far behind. And he never would’ve let Matt choose Italian as his foreign language.
3. He could’ve pulled a Mr. Feeney. Remember when Mr. Feeney followed Cory, Topanga, and Shawn to college on Boy Meets World? With most of the gang matriculating in Season 5, Alaric could’ve gotten a job at Whitmore. We hear there’s an opening in the religious studies department.
2. Mystic Falls needs an adult. Elena (Nina Dobrev) moved in with her ex and current boyfriends — at the same time. Alaric was never the greatest chaperone, but he knew when his charges were making poor life decisions. They need guidance!
1. The empty chair next to Damon (Ian Somerhalder) Our throat constricts and our eyes water — must be our allergies — whenever Damon references his drinking buddy Alaric. The loss of this bromance has left a gaping hole in the show.