UPDATE: Melissa canceled the campaign in early May. It only earned $51,605 out of a goal of $2 million.
Original story from April 12:
Veronica Mars really started something. A Kickstarter campaign revived the old TV show and funded its upcoming film, and Melissa Joan Hart is trying to do the same thing for her own movie, Darci's Walk of Shame.
As Melissa writes on her Kickstarter page, "By playing Darci, I will get the chance to once again be in a fun and hilarious Rom-Com much like Drive Me Crazy...only all grown up and having a roll in the hay with the hot actors in the film! For those of you out there that still love and adore Sabrina, Clarissa and my new show Melissa & Joey, I promise that this comedy will deliver the laughs and silliness that you have come to know and expect from me and my taste in projects. I know it seems like a leap of faith but I am asking you to do what Hollywood won't, and that is to take a chance on me as the lead of a romantic comedy film."
So far the movie has raised almost $13,000 from its $2 million goal.
Here's a roundup of the funding incentives, per RumorFix:
• For $250 you will get an onscreen “Thank you” at the end of credits.
• For $300, Melissa will follow you on Twitter for a year.
• For $500, Melissa will record an outgoing voice mail message for you.
• For $1,000, you’ll get two VIP tickets to the movie’s premiere and After Party.
• For $2,500, you’ll be a featured extra in the movie.
• For $5,000, you’ll receive a costume worn by Melissa in the movie.
• For $6,500, you’ll be able to name a character in the movie.
• For $8,000, you’ll get an associate producer credit.
• For $10,000, you’ll get a speaking role in the film or Melissa and the cast will tape a video for your wedding.
Head here to donate and get more details on the movie.
Sources: Kickstarter, RumorFix