Charming. Ridiculously sweet. The girl next door. We all know that 2013 Bachelorette Desiree Hartsock is about as all-American as apple pie, but don’t take that to mean that this 27-year-old California girl going to end up boring or one-note.
There are plenty of things about Desiree you might not expect at all. From her secret rap skills her hidden rebellious side, here are 10 facts about Des that just might surprise you.
1. She’s a rule breaker.
Des recent told the Huffington Post that she’s not afraid to ignore the usual rules and restrictions used on the show. "I followed my heart in any way that I could," she said. "And if that meant doing something that was unconventional or doing something that wasn't in the rulebook, I would follow my heart and do it." Hey, most rules were made to be broken, anyway!
2. This girl has a need for speed.
Des openly admits her love for celebs like Brad Pitt and Eric Bana, but when asked to pick her ultimate celebrity crush, Des went with a name that isn’t quite as familiar: Paul Walker. Turns out that the blue-eyed star of The Fast and The Furious franchise is Des’s dream guy. “Paul Walker is like a no-brainer,” she says.
3. She’s deathly allergic to bee stings.
Some people like taking a moment to stop and smell the roses — but for Des, that could be a life-threatening activity. “ I’m allergic to all stings,” she tells ABC. “I swell up a lot! Last season on The Bachelor when we were in St. Croix, I got stung by a sea urchin and my whole foot was gigantic and gross. It was honestly the worst pain ever.” A trip to the doctor and a Benadryl shot later, Des was on the mend, but she describes the entire process as simply “miserable.” Yikes!
4. Des has never really thought about her wedding day!
Plenty of girls have been planning, organizing, and idea booking their big day since the age of five. Not Des. She’s barely given it a thought! As a bridal stylist, she spends so much time meticulously planning out the details of other people’s weddings, that Des says she’s never really taken the time to think about hers.
6. Check out her top secret past — as a dancer in rap videos.
Well... sorta. Des donned a super-tight dress and danced up on Soulja Boy in a stolen and leaked music video, but it’s not nearly as salacious as it sounds. The whole thing was a spoof music video put together by ABC as part of a group date during her season. Still, Des gets to show off both her dance moves and her rap skills during the shoot. You won’t want to miss the finished product.
7. She’s super-sporty.Des may come off as a total girly-girl who loves fashion and wedding dress design, but that doesn’t mean she doesn’t have an athletic side. The Colorado native tells ABC she’s loved volleyball ever since middle school. She played for seven years, and even coached the sport during her senior year of high school.
We know, right: A Bachelor contestant who isn’t trying to use their fame on the show to turn themselves into a successful — or (backup plan) ridiculous/infamous — media personality? Shocking. Des recently revealed that she’d have to think long and hard before deciding to televise any potential Bachelorette wedding. "I don't necessarily want to continue in television,” she said. “I want my wedding to be intimate and small. But we'll see when that time comes."
9. She doesn’t like it when guys try to impress her.Most girls want a guy who will sweep her off her feet. Not Des! The Bachelorette tells ABC that she prefers a man who “can be candid and goofy.” She hates it when guys try to be someone else or act different just to impress her.
10. No charmed upbringing here!
As the Bachelorette, Des’s life is all about gorgeous gowns, going on lavish dates, and driving bright turquoise sports cars, but it wasn’t always that day. Desiree grew up extremely poor. In fact, she spent much of her childhood living in a tent. So when Des says this show feels like her own personal fairy tale, she isn’t exaggerating at all. Now the big question is, which of the 25 guys will end up becoming her Prince Charming?