At Fox's 2013 Television Critics Association presentation on Thursday, Kevin Reilly, entertainment chairman of the Fox Broadcasting Company, personally confirmed that Keith would be making an epic return to the reality competition show for a second season and addressed the whole Jennifer Hudson and Jennifer Lopezissue.
According to Jarett Wieselman, editorial director for ET Online, on Twitter, "Reilly confirms J.Lo return talks, but stresses they are JUST talks at this point #TCAs13 #AmericanIdol."
As for what's going on with Adam Lambert and J-Hud's potential judgeship, scheduling is causing major problems. "He said there were scheduling conflicts with Lambert & J. Hudson that led them to look at other options," Jarett tweeted.
It looks like we're going to be set for at least one of the Jennifers, but from what Kevin Reilly said, Jennifer Hudson was the first choice and they turned to J. Lo as a potential replacement. Neither have been confirmed, though J-Hud has signed a contract that remains open-ended with the show.
People reports that a source very close to Jennifer Lopez said that the superstar is "very close to signing a deal with Fox to return to American Idol next season. Both Fox and Jennifer are very happy about this and want it to happen very much," the source added.
As for J. Lo's attempt to join The Voice, the source said, "Jennifer never had discussions with NBC about being a judge. She was approached by NBC about performing but had to turn it down because of scheduling conflicts."
The source also offered up a reason for Jennifer Lopez being absent from Idol last season. "She couldn't return last year because she had committed to a world tour. But now that the tour is over, she has more time to raise her family, do movies and pursue television projects."
It looks like we'll have to wait for official word from Fox because this is totally up in the air as of now. Stay tuned!