The First Day of School — A Let-Loose Plan for Moms!
First-day-of-school outfits, bag lunches, jittery stomachs. These are things to be expected with the start of the new school year. What else is to be expected? A moment to breathe after waving goodbye to your kiddos. If you are lucky enough to revel in a day to yourself, we recommend really taking a day to yourself with these simple — but much coveted — activities.
1. Enjoy a cup of coffee — and savor it for however.long.you.want.
2. Get a mani/pedi — sans smudges — now that you have enough time to let your nails dry.
3. Meet the ladies for a long lunch. Even if you are discussing who is in whose class, some adult time will feel refreshing.
4. Register for a class at the gym. Whether it’s yoga, spin, or Pilates, an hour of endorphin creation will replace any first-day anxiety your kids may have shared with you.
5. Take a shopping trip. You’ve indulged your kids with some back-to-school gear. Now it’s your turn to get spruced up for the new season!
6. If you are a neat freak (absolutely no judgements here!), spend some time organizing after the summer with zero interruptions.
7. Turn on the TV — without automatically changing the channel to Nick Jr. — or read a book that isn’t filled with big pictures.
8. Take a nap! Yes, it’s that time when you close your eyes for a few moments to actually rest.
9. Even if you’re stuck in your usual schedule at the office (or returning to school yourself as a teacher), know that when you get home, your kids will be immersed in activities, homework, and a bedtime routine — leaving you with some time to decompress after you tuck them in for the night.
10. Indulge in a glass of wine or a sweet treat after your kids go to sleep. Let’s face it, even if you’ve had a few hours of quiet (or at least took comfort in knowing exactly what your kids were doing and when), the first day of school is stressful for everyone!