We are learning so much about Season 18 Bachelor Juan Pablo Galavis. It’s almost good that we saw so little of him on Desiree Hartsock’sThe BacheloretteSeason 9. Now, every day is a new adventure in the land of bilingual caps-lock tweets, Instagram videos, Bruno Mars songs, and cute pics with his daughter Camila.
So we were intrigued to see this September 4 tweet to mark Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year: "Shana Tova to ALL my Jewish friends ( I was Jewish once for a BIT) jeje / Shana Tova a TODOS is amigos Judios (Yo fui un RATICO)"
He was Jewish once for a bit? OK. How does that work? Did he convert to or from Judaism, or just celebrate Jewish holidays while in a relationship with someone who was Jewish?
Juan Pablo was born in the U.S. to Venezuelan parents, and the family moved to Barquisimeto, Venezuela when he was 2. According to a U.S. Department of State report from 2008, an estimated “92 percent of [Venezuela’s] population is at least nominally Roman Catholic, and the remaining 8 percent are Protestant, a member of another religion, or atheist.”
That doesn’t necessarily mean anything for Juan Pablo and his family per se, but he is from a predominantly Catholic country, so it’s just interesting to hear he was at least briefly part of a different faith. Bachelors and Bachelorettes are often pretty open about their beliefs, and for some rose-givers — like Sean Lowe — faith is a huge part of their lives. Bachelorette Ashley Hebert was raised Catholic but her wedding with J.P. Rosenbaum mixed her Christian and his Jewish traditions, and now they celebrate both Catholic and Jewish holidays.
We wouldn’t mind hearing more about this side of JP’s life, if he ever cares to talk about it — via bilingual caps-lock tweets or not!