Once Upon a Time In Wonderland: 5 Reasons to Tune In
Whether you're a Once Upon a Timedevotee or a certified fairy tale show sceptic, we're hoping you'll take a chance on the new series Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, the OUAT spin-off that isn't really a spin-off as much as it is a totally different story set in the same expansive universe.
You don't need to have seen OUAT to follow Wonderland, but that alone isn't enough to make anyone add another show to their already-overwhelmed DVR. So why are we championing this magical little story?
Here are five reasons you should definitely give Wonderland your full attention when it premieres this Thursday, September 10 and 8 p.m. ET/PT on ABC.
1. Talented Cast. The number one temptation should be the chance to see this talented cast in action. While headliner Sophie Lowe is a relative acting newbie in America, we loved what we saw of her in the first twenty minutes of the premiere, and other members of the cast have impressive resumes. We're most excited about seeing Michael Socha, who we adore from the British supernatural show Being Human, tackle American telly, and, of course, Lost fave Naveen Andrews as Jafar.
2. Epic Romance. Who doesn't need a little truely epic against-all-odds romance in their TV schedule? Based on what we've seen and read about the show, it seems like Alice and her true love, genie Cyrus, have a relationship that could go down in TV history.
3. Tighter Storytelling. Because this show is going to run on a shorter season than most network TV, it should tell a tight, complete, thrilling story.
4. The Visual Magic. Based on what we've seen on the pilot, this show uses CGI impressively well for a network TV show. More importantly, it already has a deep sense of visual style that goes beyond computer trickery into the details and vividness of the cinematography. Translation: a feast for the eyes!
5. A Strong Female Lead. We can never have too many awesome heroines to root for, and Alice is shaping up to be strong-willed and interesting. We can't wait to learn more about her.
Are you going to tune in to Once Upon a Time in Wonderland? Why or why not? Sound off in the comments below!
Once Upon a Time in Wonderland premieres on October 10, 2013 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on ABC.
Rebecca Martin is an Associate Editor at Wetpaint Entertainment and our resident Game of Thrones, Pretty Little Liars, and genre TV expert. Follow her on Twitter and Google+!