Who is Kat Robichaud? 5 Things To Know About The Voice Contestant
The stage-diving, crowd-surfing Kat Robichaud has undeniably been one of the most entertaining contestants to watch on this season of The Voice. But, besides the fact that she is from Raleigh, NC, and her fans are called the “katpack,” what else do we know about this funky chick?
1. Unlike some of the other contestants who have only been pursuing music, Kat will have a day job to quit – that is, if her career takes off after the show the way we think it will. Right now, the talented singer is actually a freelance graphic designer. Sounds like it could be a nice hobby for her!
2. According to her bio on NBC, Kat joined a glam rock band called “The Design” while in college and toured with them for seven years. Her decision to leave the band came shortly before going on The Voice. “Standing at the door and counting how many people are coming or not coming, I know what that’s like. It just got too hard with the band – wanting to do original music. We kept rotating members until I finally decided, ‘This is not working, I have to move on.’” she told the News & Observer during an interview.
3. She notes in her NBC bio that one of her biggest musical influences was her father, who recently passed away. She grew up watching musicals from her dad’s extensive collection of VHS tapes, and says her showmanship and stage presence stem a lot from this passion.
4. Kat auditioned for The Voice because of Adam Levine, in a six degrees of separation kind of way. While still with The Design, the group opened up for a show at Durham’s Motorco Music Hall for JJAMZ, which, according to the News & Observer article, is a side band for Maroon 5 guitarist James Valentine. Valentine was reportedly so impressed, he urged Kat to audition for the show in January. And, in case you’ve been trapped under a rock for about the last ten years, Adam is the frontman for Maroon 5. See the connection?
5. We may see her show off a real bad girl side before the season is over, as she joked with the News & Observer that she may just smash a guitar and become the first to do so on The Voice. “I wonder if they’d allow me to go to Guitar Center and buy a cheap, crappy guitar to smash?” she joked. We’d like to see that!
Is Kat one of your faves this season? Share your thoughts on her in the comments!