Kim Kardashian is certainly no stranger to criticism, but this time it’s about her philanthropic efforts! The reality star recently hosted an eBay auction where a portion of the proceeds were donated to disaster relief for victims of Typhoon Haiyan, which devastated the Philippines in late November. Seems like a pretty noble cause to us, so why is Kim taking so much flack for it?
Well, it all comes down to that word “portion.” Kim’s critics are balking because only 10% of the proceeds were donated to Typhoon Haiyan relief. While there’s no saying for sure where the other 90% went, it’s a safe bet that a decent amount went back into Kim’s pocket (after momager Kris Jenner got her cut, naturally).
One Kim kritic said, “You even know the meaning of the word Charity,“ adding, “How dare you use these people’s misery to make money? Don’t you and boyfriend have enough money without using these poor wretched souls in their hour of desperation. Shame on you!!!!!”
Way harsh. But do these folks have a point? After all, Kim was selling clothing and accessories that she used to wear, and many of the items were definitely going for far less than she likely paid for them. Then again, it’s not like she’s exactly suffering for money or clothing.
We can definitely see the point that it’s in poor taste. While Kim didn’t hide the fact that only 10% of the proceeds would go to disaster relief (it was clearly stated on the auction site), it’s possible that at least some of the people who bid on her wares didn’t read the fine print and thought their entire contribution would benefit typhoon victims.
What do you think? Was Kim’s attempt at charity an insult, or do you think 10% is better than nothing at all?