Every character on Scandal has secrets, and as we recently learned, that's even more true of Mellie Grant than most. But while we sometimes think we'll never get to the bottom of Mellie's list of lies, at least we can get to know the actress who plays her, Bellamy Young.
So, who is the actress that manages to make Mellie so sympathetic? We've collected five fun facts about Bellamy Young so you can get to know her a little better.
1. She changed her name. Bellamy was born Amy Young; she changed her first name to join the Screen Actors Guild, since there was already an Amy Young registered.
2. She actually is from North Carolina. Like her character, Bellamy hails from North Carolina (Asheville to be precise).
3. She's incredibly smart. Bellamy graduated from Yale and also studied at Oxford. Talk about an impressive resume!
4. She's majorly conflict adverse. Bellamy describes herself as totally conflict averse, and says that playing Mellie is "sort of like wish fulfillment" because she gets to dish out the kinds of things she normally holds herself back from saying.
5. She was North Carolina's Junior Miss in 1987. She's been a high achiever since the beginning!
Did you learn something new about Bellamy Young, or do you know something we don’t? Tell us in the comments below!
Sources: IMDB, TV Guide, Harper's Bazaar